Network switch, which is right for me?

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
Short answer is any 100Mbps switch or better. I use a crappy 5 port 10/100 dlink switch for 2x p2s and 1x d2

anon

Apprentice elf
Ditto the above.

In the philosophy of the best device is a free device, I just used an old modem/router/switch my old internet provider supplied that was otherwise collecting dust.

JonB256

Full time elf
While there is little to no demand for them, a 100mbit or Gbit Hub would be event better for Multicasting.

I'm using an Netgear 8 port Gbit switch without problems. I inserted it between my show computer and the home network and it keeps the traffic somewhat isolated from the wireless router.

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
JonB256 said:
While there is little to no demand for them, a 100mbit or Gbit Hub would be event better for Multicasting.

I'm using an Netgear 8 port Gbit switch without problems. I inserted it between my show computer and the home network and it keeps the traffic somewhat isolated from the wireless router.

I have never seen a 100mbps hub, though I have heard they existed and I have never heard about 1gbps hub.

Unless the gig switch is managed and configured to drop multicast traffic (or routed between the interfaces) on the uplink port, I don't think adding a switch would help curb the traffic the sACN blasts out.

Best practice for our hobby is a separate "show" network, as it appears you are already planning.

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
Kadan is right, unless you've got an expensive managed switch that supports IGMP snooping it's not going to make any difference. I wouldn't even bother with a seperate show network for home.

The only problem I see is if you have an ultra-crappy network device on your LAn - like a really old network printer - which can't handle the broadcasts (multicast) - that device may have trouble communicating. But unlikly these days.

jimcllc

Apprentice elf
The PC I am using to run my show Is a 5 year old Compaq Presario That has nothing on it except lor and is not hooked up to the internet or anything. So I am NOT concerned with any traffic or noise or anything on my home network Because it is not even put up to it.

nato595

Let's do this!
Cisco and dLink both have 5-port models in stock at Wal-Mart stores for $25(US) each. They are all one-in-the-same.

burner

Full time elf
Anyone willing to drive to northern metro Victoria can have any of the 3com 48 port (4300 and 4400 series) switches I have here for free. They are only 100mb though.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
burner said:
Anyone willing to drive to northern metro Victoria can have any of the 3com 48 port (4300 and 4400 series) switches I have here for free. They are only 100mb though.
100mbit is as good as anyone is going to need anyway, so a great offer for anyone who can get their hands on these

Thanks for offering these up