Networking Hardware Compatability

swampgator352

New elf
Hi all,

I am trying to enhance my home network to accomplish separate VLAN's for: 1) personal trusted devices, 2) IoT devices and christmas light show, 3) guest wifi network. While I realize that this might be slightly overkill, I am hoping to learn more about networking in general as part of this process.

Currently I have a a DPC3941T gateway through my ISP. I recently purchased the TL-SG108E Easy Smart switch and two Netgear WAC104 wireless access points. I'm hoping to run some hardwired connections from the access points to devices as well as allow some wireless connections. Before I start fishing too many cables through my walls, etc. I wanted to see if this plan sounded feasible given these hardware components. Do I need a different router to accomplish this? Is this way too ambitious?

Thanks for your help!

swampgator352

New elf
This will be my first year...I'm planning to start small with about 1,000 pixels. Planning to run a Falcon F16v3 most likely. I realize that VLAN's are not "necessary" for a show that size, but I'm looking to learn about networking.

Jarrad33

150k of Pixels for 2023
I would not add another level of complexity to the build. This hobby will try your patience at the best of times.

TerryK

Retired Elf
I would suggest not toying with your ISP interface. I suspect your ISP provider will become a tad upset if they need to repair the settings more than once or twice.

Also, from what I see, none of the equipment you listed is VLAN capable. As to a guest WiFi, I am not sure but I am inclined to think that would require multiple routers or a router capable of multiple SSIDs.

BBQNinja

New elf
I use VLANs in my setup to separate traffic for speed and security, but I have access to some enterprise hardware.
It does add complexity. Keep in mind if you VLAN your IOT devices and Computers they won't get to each other (which is the point of VLANs), unless you add some routing (which may not be supported by your hardware).
No need to touch your ISP settings on the router for this but it doesn't look like your router can VLAN. The smart switch looks to have some capability.
Regarding Wi-Fi, Guest networks are usually setup on the WAP itself so all the SSID will be on the same VLAN anyway, and the WAP would isolate the Wireless traffic.

I would suggest leaving your wired network flat (no VLANs), and setup a Guest SSID on the WAPs to isolate wireless devices that only need internet and not LAN access. Keep in mind Sonos, Smart TVs etc.. all need LAN access if you want to be able to cast to them.

What I do now to keep it simple is to use an old 4 port WiFi router (the old dialup one in the cupboard :) ) and connect the controllers to it. The router is the switch and DHCP (use a different subnet). Setup a "Show" SSID and just connect to it as needed to upload to the FPP and start the show. Gives you a dedicated subnet and physical security plus I don't need to run cables to outside. No internet but I haven't needed it on that network.
(I did use the Wi-Fi to bridge my networks (station mode), but ended up being complexity for no benefit)

Let me know if I can help out.