Newbie with plan in place and ready to pull the trigger. Would like suggestions!

LightsOn81st

Apprentice elf
bluzervic said:
These Mounting plates come in handy so you do not have to punch holes into the C1500 case

http://www.holidaycoro.com/product-p/651-kit1.htm

-Blu

Thanks for the suggestion on the mounting plates. I took a look at these but wasn't quite sure on how I was going to lay out my enclosures, so I went with some 1/8" clear acrylic for backplates which seems to be working quite for well for now.

I'll keep these in mind for future enclosures (of which I'm sure there will be many)!

wce06

Apprentice elf
I am new to all this but one question on your power supplies.

You mention your total W is 920 and you have three power supplies rated at 350W. Having read the ACL 101 manual it says no power supply should run at more than 85% of its capacity.

With my maths your 920 Watts should read 1080 Watts which means you would need 4 x 350W power supplies.

Like I said I am new to this so please correct me if my understanding of this is wrong.

LightsOn81st

Apprentice elf
You are correct that you should only use a PSU at about 80-85% of it's rated capacity. However, my calculations account for about 10m of extra LED strip and 100 more bullet pixels than I actually plan on using. As such, 3 PSUs should be adequate.

However, I do have a 4th PSU on-hand in case my power needs surpass what 3 PSUs can handle.

LightsOn81st

Apprentice elf
Coroplast snowflakes and star (3 row) arrived from Boscoyo today, and I got the first snowflake wired up!

https://youtu.be/_Qza7K1s-Ck

LightsOn81st

Apprentice elf
HinksPix16 board is up and running!

I plugged it on, it grabbed an IP address, checked for a software update and then told me is was ready to be configured!

I jumped into the Web UI, set up some channels and started testing lights! Bam, super easy!

HT08jaA.jpg

BSfBYDV.jpg

Gilrock

Full time elf
Wow that looks so much like an F16v2...lol. Reminds me of when they created the AlphaPix16 and it looked a lot like the Pixlite16.

LightsOn81st

Apprentice elf
Gilrock said:
Wow that looks so much like an F16v2...lol. Reminds me of when they created the AlphaPix16 and it looked a lot like the Pixlite16.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I suppose!

I'll be using a F16 and the HinksPix, so if the layout is similar that'll make my job of planning enclosure configuration even easier!

LightsOn81st

Apprentice elf
Came across a bit of an issue with the HinksPix where occasionally bullet-style pixels will freeze on a certain color and stop responding. I'll be calling the creator, Joe Hinckle, tomorrow to talk over it to see if I can figure out what is going on.

Luckily, uncledan was gracious enough to make me a great deal on a Falcon F16, which arrived today and it saved the day!

Coro flakes and star are all wired up, modeled in XLights and working! They go up on the house tomorrow!

Here's a sample of the star. Be sure to wear some sunglasses and sunscreen when viewing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLkf0o71Yho

scamper

Dedicated elf
I must say, I am very impressed with your progress.
I am glad you never gave up and am waiting with bated breath to see the finished product.

LightsOn81st

Apprentice elf
Coro flakes and star are mounted on the house!

I used some PEX tubing clips, mounted on the house, and then ran zip ties through short PVC pipes and then trough the slats in the coro. Super easy!

I did some power injection tests and I should be able to power inject at the beginning and end of each of my runs, so that will save some time and effort in planning other injection points.

The Falcon F16 is mounted in it's enclosure and pigtails for each of it's outputs are wired up and their exit holes sealed up with duct seal (to be replaced with cable glands before next season. Not enough time to procure them for this season!).

Tomorrow will be mounting the enclosures under the front porch and then starting to run power and data wires!

We should have some actual function lights on the house tomorrow night!

LightsOn81st

Apprentice elf
Sorry for the lack of updates as work has been hectic and I've been trying to make the most of my free time to get more lights prepped for installation before the weather turns sour in Washington.

The Star and Snowflakes are working great and I've been running my show each night this week and have started to get a few cars every hour driving by to watch, so success so far.

I'll post a video of a few of my songs ASAP.

Thanks all so far with the help!

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.