P2 and signal issues

yzguy96

Full time elf
I have a P2 and 9 windows running 2811IC strips...I am having issues where the show hangs after 8 secs and turns white and gets stuck. I tried a thicker cable from the controller but it is also longer about 40'...so should i put 3 null pixels inline? I also had a smaller 12 ft cable that produced the same issue. Trying to get my show running so tomorrow i can show it but time is against me.

yzguy96

Full time elf
just changed it to 1200 and was able to control the first 120 pixels with the E1.31 tool...I changed it to 512 channels of the first universe and was able to turn them all on white but then they froze and couldnt turn them off or change colors?

yzguy96

Full time elf
do i need any null pixels if i use my 40 ft extension cable from the P2 and power supply to the first 2811 strip?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
40 feet would be pushing it too far, you will need a null pixel

Basically the longer the cable between the controller and the first pixel the slower the speed needed. so try some lower speeds like 1000 and see if that works if not then you will need a null pixel in between to regenerate the signal

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I used a null pixel every 3 metres. I found it better to add null pixels and run at correct speed rather than slow it down to compensate for length.

yzguy96

Full time elf
ok i can reach it at 15 feet and try it to see if it works for testing purposes...then add null pixels every 15 feet to see if it works.

yzguy96

Full time elf
ok i have about 20 ft of extension cable with a null pixel in between...so far results much better! I will keep trying and hopefully everything will go smoother...thanks!

yzguy96

Full time elf
I have to hook up a second power supply for upstairs lights...so i need to connect both power supply ground wire right?

yzguy96

Full time elf
I have 2 of ray wu RGB amplifiers...could I use those instead of the null pixels?