Pixlite 4 setup

Boof63

Senior elf
Yes NZ, you were right about the short , first data line out , I messed up. Sorted that out, however still no lights. Tried it on the test pattern, board lights flash appropriate , but nothing on the matrix, connected everything up to a ECG-P2 and had Da-E131 running a test pattern and no problems.reconnected pix4 and tried Da-E131 and no response. So what am I doing wrong with the Pix4. Cabling is all correct, pwr is good,data appears to, as coming through on P2 but not on Pix4 , any clues , greatly appreciated
Cheers Boof63

Boof63

Senior elf
Hi habby , you are right, 680 is max pix per output, have set it up as 600 pix per output so I don't have to cut into strip if using 680. Was hoping to use 4th output for seizure star. Will reconsider when my head is not so tired ,thanks
Boof63

ltay13

Full time elf
Community project designer
What pixel type are you using? WS2811/12/12B is pretty common. If you're using them, have you tried both speed options (selection next to the chip type selection)? Keep using the hardware test pattern after you change things to see if they work, it helps eliminate a problem with the ethernet/PC side of things.

Boof63

Senior elf
Board is flashing ok, Ethernet is flashing that it's receiving data (da-e131 running), but no lights, have one strip connected only to test, nothing ,what am I doing wrong! Any help please! Thanks to those who have inputed so far, sorry for my stupidity, but I'm sure it's my end and I'm missing something basic.
Habby will look at your setup tonite and consider re arranging.
Cheers and thanks again to everyone!
Boof63
Ps is this the problem, I can't seem to change the start channel number past 508 , yet I have 600 pix listed in num pixels = 1800 channels. Thus output2 should let me insert start channel for Output2 at 1801, or again am I missing something

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415224468.772393.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415224468.772393.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 35
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415224513.640351.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415224513.640351.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 30
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415224537.074691.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415224537.074691.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 35

ltay13

Full time elf
That channel is within the sACN universe. An sACN universe only has 512 channels inside it (and only 510 used in pixels). It's the universe and channel within that universe that the controller starts the output at. There's no such thing as channel 1,800.

If you have 600 pixels on output 1 starting at universe 1, channel 1. Then output 2 should start at universe 4, channel 271. This should match up with whatever sequencing software you are using in some way.

However if you aren't getting colour on the hardware test pattern then that has nothing to do with the universe/channel setup.

Can you have a look at my previous post regarding pixel type and speed?

Boof63

Senior elf
Ok thanks L_Tay, that helps. Have setup pix as ws2811, will play tonite with speed once universe setup properly,
Cheers Boof63

Chip is ink1003, so using ws2811 as protocol

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Boof I have ink1003 on a pixlite 16. I use ws2811 protocol on fast and it all seems to work.

Boof63

Senior elf
Ok Output1 , startU1, start ch 1,num pix 600,
Output2 , startU4 ,start ch 271, num pix 600
Output3 ! start U7, start ch 271, num pix 300
Is this correct for 1500 pix matrix (20x 75pix)
Cheers boof63
Ps does Da-E131 programme run through pixlite4, internal test pattern is not happening

ltay13

Full time elf
Almost, outputs 1 and 2 are correct. Output 3 should start Univ 8, Chan 31.

Have you got the controller driving the lights correctly yet? The addressing will be a separate problem more to do with lining up your sequencer with the controller addressing.

Boof63

Senior elf
No nothing is happening test pattern at all , data and pwr are coming from pix4 and thru connecting cable ( checked with multimeter ) but no lights

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Boof, like L_Tay said. Along as you have the number of pixels right for each output the test pattern should light them up regardless of the universe/channel settings. Even if you have the number of pixels wrong the test pattern should be lighting up whatever number of pixels happens to be set.

So it sounds like your not getting the test pattern to work. Going on the newness of the pixlite 4 I'm assuming they all have the new firmware that contains the test pattern installed so this can't be the problem. This means that there is an issue with either

1) wiring from controller to lights is wrong (ie bad connections or wire in wrong spot on controller)
2) no power getting to lights
3) first pixel is blown (unlikely on all three outputs)

I would double check that you have the +ve, -ve and data in the right spots on the controller. Also double check that you have put the green screw part of the connecter (that's the technical term) on the controller back in the right slot. It is easy to offset it by one position so only 3 of the 4 spots are actually connected to the controller (I'm assuming here the pixlite 4 uses the same connections as the 16, as I haven't seen a 4).

I seem to remember that you had to spin the connector part through 180 degrees to the way I was holding it when putting in the wires. This could make it easy to have the wires in the wrong way around. Hope this all makes sense. Anyway just double check all connections with what it says in the instructions.

I was also going to say you need it connected to computer to get test pattern to work but you must have as you are seeing the channel settings etc.

Can't think of anything else at the moment, but let us know how you go.

Boof63

Senior elf
All cables triple checked and then again ( you were right bout first hiccup being a short), have looked at manual and checked all the connector pin outs and good. Looking left to right +Ve = brown wire, clk = empty, data= green/yellow cable , ground = blue.
Cable from output1 has pwr12.15volts but data has only 4.5volts??? running test pattern
Am retinning pigtails from outputs to see if makes better contact.

Have 1 light on, no movement , pixel number 601, but that's all, oh well keep hunting !!!

Cheers boof63

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Boof,
I had some fun and games trying to get my Pixlite 4 to get up and running last night. Couldn't work out why when plugged into power, that the green power light was off but the red network light was on. Tested power connections with a multimeter etc and all seemed good. Then discovered that the power light will only glow if there is a network connection which is certainly a trick for new players as I expected a power light to tell me I had power and a network light to tell me I had a network connection :eek: .
Anywho, eventually got into the software settings, clicked on Ws2811 for pixel type (fast box ticked automatically), didn't fill in any of the boxes related to string settings an instead held down the "fact IP" button for three seconds and immaediately the connected 5m strip light glowed and went into cycling throught the colours.
From what I have read, you have been able to connect into the software settings etc but have not been able to get the lights to even run in test mode. Getting the test pattern to work was pretty straight forward (once I got connected to the PC) and didn't require any universes and pixel numbers etc to be entered so, assuming that you have tried more than one strip or string of lights to eliminate the "first blown pixel problem", that makes me wonder if you may just have a dodgy Pixlite 4 and your option maybe to swap it for a new one before it drives you crazy, especially this late in the season[SIZE=78%].[/SIZE]
[/size] I certainly would have a lost a lot of hair (if I had some) a month or so back when I had a P2 that would work connected direct to the PC but not via a network switch. In the end, and after trying multiple different suggestions, it appeard to be a problem with the P2 and I returned it for a replacement and the new one works like a charm. [size=78%]
So, sometimes the fault doesn't lie with you.... it's in the electronics.
Just a suggestion.

Boof63

Senior elf
Thanks logandc99, had the same thought, tested again a minute ago using p2 and da-e131, and yes get test pattern to run, so first pixel is ok . Made up cables also check out because of this, so will ring advatek and discuss with them. Cheers and thanks Bood63