Pixlite 4 setup

ltay13

Full time elf
Community project designer
Hi Boof,

You never ended up mentioning if you played with the speed setting. Have you tried that yet?

Boof63

Senior elf
Yes tried fast and then slow, also tried standard string setup , strg1, chn1 , pix num 150, still nothing happens when I press the test pattern, I do lie - the first pixel on output 1 lights up white , but that's all and no changes ,
Any ideas please,
Cheers Boof63

ltay13

Full time elf
Can you please try all 4 outputs on both speeds with the test pattern. Also do you have another PixLite controller by chance?

I'm wondering if maybe back when you had that short on the data line it damaged the chip that outputs to the strings. We have purposely put it in a holder so this part can be changed by hand if it gets damaged because the reality is, these mistakes happen. If you had another working board there you could easily swap that chip to test that theory.

Boof63

Senior elf
Sorry no first time with the pixlite, will try outputs tonite, can you guys send me another board , happy to pay for it and if it works I will send faulty one for repair and when I get that back and return your good one you can do me a credit???
Cheers boof63

Boof63

Senior elf
Received pm thanks , problem with email at work, so will contact when I am back .

Boof63

Senior elf
Ok guys pix4 turned up today, thanks,
Now for the problems,
Stuffed IP address in the setup and so went to bootloader, updated using v1.4.2
Board appears to update , lights stop for a bit and then flash as per normal,
However AL assistant can't find pix4 once Power is restored as per manual ,
What's going on guys, can't find it using netscan either.
I realise I'm a klutz, but I havnt shorted anything out etc!!!
Does the firmware update the IP address to something else other than 192.168.0.50????,
Because thats the address the bootloader lists in ALA before you update the firmware.
Then it fails to find it,( yes computer ip is 192.168.0.1) so I'm stuffed.
Cheers Boof63

damona

Full time elf
I believe their is a way to reset the board see the manual. Leave it as DHCP and use multicast.

Boof63

Senior elf
Have tried using the bootloader as per manual, hence the post, no luck being recognised after the process is carried out

Boof63

Senior elf
To advatek ,please update manual!! To access bootloader press BOTH bootloader and factory IP buttons together on power up and then run update firmware thru ALA programme, minor missing point in the manual!!!! It only mentions pressing bootloader button only, please fix asap as I,Ve spent 6 hours trying to nut this out and shouldn't have needed to,

Cheers Boof63

Devo

Apprentice elf
Hi Boof,

Boof63 said:
To advatek ,please update manual!! To access bootloader press BOTH bootloader and factory IP buttons together on power up and then run update firmware thru ALA programme, minor missing point in the manual!!!! It only mentions pressing bootloader button only, please fix asap as I,Ve spent 6 hours trying to nut this out and shouldn't have needed to,

Ok let's sort a few things out here.

1. The manual is correct concerning the update procedure for both the forced and automatic updates. (These processes are outlined step by step on pages 15&16.) To get the controller into forced BL mode manually you need to power down, hold down the Bootloader button ONLY and then power up. Both LEDs will then flash alternately to indicate it is in BL mode and ready for a fw update using the assistant utility. The controller will always default to IP 192.168.0.50 during a manual forced BL update.
If the controller is already visible in the utility, then an automatic fw update can be done without touching anything on the controller (as described on p15).

2. If you hold both buttons down and then power up both LEDs will flash together at the same time indicating you are in fact doing a factory default reset - not putting the controller into BL mode.

3. I strongly suggest that you do a factory default reset as described in the manual on page 19. This will ensure the controller starts up in DHCP mode, and will be immediately visible in the utility on any existing network with a router. Once you can see the controller in the assistant utility, then go ahead and set a static IP.

I hope this helps to get things working for you, let us know how you go.

Boof63

Senior elf
As mentioned, following the manual failed to reboot the pix4, the process worked and the firmware is updated and everything says ok. However the ALA programme failed to find the pix4 when clicking on search (as well as netscan being unable to detect any ip).
I followed the manual 6 times and got the same result each time , pix4 found in boot loader mode at factory IP, however once updated , it couldn't be found.
Only when I thought fine, nothing is working , I looked at the the two buttons saw the adjoining line for bootloader and factory IP , and decided I may as well give this a try.
I did and it uploaded, reset and then could be found in ALA.
Also tried the test pattern and did get a string of lights working and running test pattern.
So progress at last, why it didn't,t follow the manual instructions I have no idea, but is up and running , so hopefully I can make progress on the matrix tonite and have it working.
Thanks again for your help and apologies if I sounded ticked off - I was!!
But currently we are moving forward
Could problems be that I am running it straight for computer and not thru a router ( will be thru router for actual show?)

Cheers Boof63

ltay13

Full time elf
Hi Boof,

The manual is correct, your situation is explainable, you were going about things a bit back to front. Here's what happened:

You set the IP incorrectly and couldn't see the controller anymore.

At this point you should have either:

a) BEST OPTION - Held down the 'Factory IP' button to start the controller on default IP for that session. Then you can get back in and change settings.

OR

b) Held down both buttons (which you ended up doing), which resets the settings on the controller. Then it will start up with default IP, but all your other settings are gone too.

Instead you tried to re-upload the firmware, which you successfully did those 6 times. However, there was no need to update the firmware as it was already on there and nothing was wrong with it.

When you do a firmware update (even if you were actually going to a new firmware version), you are NOT resetting any settings. This is on purpose. When people update firmware versions, there is no point also deleting all of the settings on the controller. If you can imagine you have 5 controllers setup and you apply a firmware fix, you wouldn't want to have to re-setup each of your controllers.

So basically, you got into bootloader mode fine, updated the firmware fine, you were just doing updates when you should have been resetting settings. When you ended up holding both buttons down you reset all of the settings, which meant that the controller could start back up with it's default IP of 192.168.0.50.

ltay13

Full time elf
By the way, in future you can always just give us a call if you're struggling that much and we could have explained what was happening straight away to you. More than happy to provide support via phone or our online ticket system when you need it.

Habbosrus

Back again
Been following this one. Glad you're making progress Boof ;)
Lookin forward to the results of your labour.
I'm already planning for next year (if the treasurer will allow) and my plans will include a Pixlite 16 hopefully.