PPOE

Discussion in 'EthConGateway by Joshua 1 Systems' started by mike395, Nov 9, 2012.

1. mike395

mike395 New Elf

Noob here... Hello All
    I received my ECG-D2 today with intentions of utilizing a POE switch that have lying around. So I finally tracked down the jumper setting, and set the jumpers. Problem is I have no power. Can I get some clarification on PPOE vs POE.
    Thanks in advance[table][tr][td][/td][td][/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td][/td][td][/td][/tr][/table]

2. David_AVD

David_AVD Good news, everyone!

I'm pretty sure you can't use a standard POE switch with Ed's boards. The voltage will be too high I think we were told.

3. harrisonk

harrisonk Dedicated Elf

Find Me On:
    Eds boards use PASSIVE Power over Ethernet. These can be found on eBay for about $5.00. They come in either cable pairs or a junction box style.

4. BradsXmasLights

BradsXmasLights WiFi Interactive

Find Me On:
    Proper 802.3af/at POE has sensing to detect that a POE device is actually conencted before the 48VDC is supplied.

However I have found that a proper PoE powered device will still power up if you just put raw 48VDC on the pins (without any sensing done at the poe injector end)

I just run my D2 from a 5VDC plugpack.

5. OP
    OP
    mike395

mike395 New Elf

Thanks for the response. Ive been using POE for quit some time and never realized there were two types. I do now though.
    Thanks again,
    Mike