1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

Answered Ray Wu's store ... (WS2811, WS2812 new pixel timing and controller compatibility?)

Discussion in 'Lights - Store Bought and Home Made' started by Tonyst, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Tonyst

Tonyst New Elf

Has anyone had any problems with lights from Ray Wu's store? I have just got a delivery of pixel strings and they are not working. Previously bought strings work but put the new ones in and nothing.

2. MacArthur St Light Fusion

MacArthur St Light Fusion Apprentice Elf

What do you mean by not working? What have you tried?

3. foodi

foodi New Elf

Find Me On:
    been dealing with ray for 7 years only ever had some faulty 2811s about 3 years ago witch he replaced but he tells me there all tested prior leaving the factory

4. MacArthur St Light Fusion

MacArthur St Light Fusion Apprentice Elf

Only issue I've had so far are some pigtails that were wired incorrectly, but that's no big deal as long as you test first!

5. ryanschristmaslights

ryanschristmaslights Senior Elf Administrator Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    If they are new WS2811 pixels (or WS2812), and you have connected them to an existing controller to test, try seeing if there is new firmware for your controller and install it. There is suggestion that the refresh rate on new WS2811 ICs has changed: https://auschristmaslighting.com/threads/ws2812b-vs-ws2813-is-it-better.9561/#post-89267

More details (for SanDevices controllers): http://doityourselfchristmas.com/fo...nd-E6804-re-new-pixel-timing-on-WS281x-pixels

6. Roosta

Roosta Full Time Elf

I have had issues with my most recent delivery, of the kind that ryan has mentioned, however a a firware update was not possbile as the controller i needed to use them with were music controllers supplied in the same order by ray wu.. We are currently in discussions to find a resolution..

Last years strip works fine, just the new stuff wont.. Grr..

7. djgra79

djgra79 Senior Elf Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    @QldKing(Brad) I wonder if this is a contributing factor to your issue??...
    @darylc is the firmware on current new F16V3 boards up to date for latest 2811 chips?

QldKing(Brad) likes this.
  8. Kitman

Kitman Full Time Elf

I had an issue with my order from ScottsLed where he also used the new WS2811 chips that have a different refresh rate. After upgrading the firmware on my Sandevice controllers they are working fine, except when using with a 5 meter extension lead they don't work right so trying some different resistor networks to get them working with the 5 meter extension lead. Managed to get 8 different size resister networks spanned across 5 deliveries from Element14 hahaha now to test.

9. scamper

scamper Senior Elf

Find Me On:
    The ic change is one thing and I am led to believe that the old ship is no longer available, so all of the new ones from all suppliers will be the new chip.
    The other thing to be mindful of, is that sometimes the wiring may be reversed. So if you are using the plugs that come with it and just plug into an existing set, then the data and ground wires may be back the front, i found this in my mega tree build.

10. heathwithnoteeth

heathwithnoteeth Full Time Elf Generous Elf

This year seem's like Ray has been rather busy... I have had more issues with his product this year, than previous years. Hopefully the current order i have been waiting on has no issues.

11. TByrne

TByrne Full Time Elf

Find Me On:
    is the firmware on current new F16V3 boards up to date for latest 2811 chips?

Yes. No update required. Even the V2R doesn't need to update for the new chipset.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  12. darylc

darylc Full Time Elf Global Moderator Generous Elf

No firmware changes were required for the Falcon boards, so even the very oldest firmwares will work with the latest 2811 chips.

13. pennymoor

pennymoor New Elf

I had the same problem with rays ws2811s pixels with a firmware upgrade from sandevices all worked well, until i tried to run about 8 strings together and only half worked.After about 1 1/2 hour of trouble shooting i worked out that i was using a mixture of old and new pixels in the run. Changed out the old pixels and everything worked ok. Tried a few different combinations and found you cannot run old and new pixels in the same string.
    Mic

14. OP
    OP
    Tonyst

Tonyst New Elf

Thanks Guys. Great call. Ryan, thanks for the direction to the update file . I updated the firmware on my Sandevices controller and, voila, everything worked.

ryanschristmaslights likes this.
  15. videoman3857

videoman3857 Full Time Elf

Same.
    Had one that was shorted out - fried a mosfett.
    Several the wrong way around -Just change the terminal connections .
    Test every one of them now.