Ray's 10w and 30w DMX Flood Lights, and programming using DMX Writer "AT3031"

kane

Dedicated elf
Hey All

I'm sure this will come up for someone else in the future, so I thought I'd post some information that may help others out.

As per a post from David_AVD a while back, Ray has some RGB flood lights with an integrated DMX controller/led driver in them - 10w and 30w ones - here are the links. (the 30w ones are huge!). They produce a heap of light and are priced very well.
10w @ 12V: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/10W-RGB-DMX-flood-light-DC12V-input/701799_550394253.html
30w @ 24V: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/30W-RGB-DMX-flood-light-DC24V-input-can-be-controlled-by-dmx-controller-directly/701799_577673325.html

In my case, I had asked Ray to set the DMX channels to certain channels, but for some reason they weren't programmed properly, so eventually he sent me over a "DMX Address writer", which is a model 3031, which you can get from this url.. This might be handy for other people that want to change the pre-programmed start channels.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/AT3031-DMX-address-writer-for-setting-the-dmx-address-of-AT-series-dmx-decoders-drivers/701799_578769983.html

The problem is, it comes with no instructions, so I had to get Ray to explain how to use it... So just in case someone else buys the above (and perhaps ends up here via google), this is all you need to do:

1. Connect dc power to the flood - most likely pink & black wires
2. Cut the ribbon connector supplied with the programmer, and connect the 3 wires to the right of the programmer to GND, DMX+ and DMX- (there is a label on the back of the programmer). You don't need to connect the SOUT wire. (in my case, I use black 3-core waterproof connectors for my dmx cabling, so I simply connected a connector to the ribbon cable)
3. Put 3 AA batteries in, and turn on the programmer (leave the 4 dip switches at 0). It'll show a couple numbers on the display (1-7-2 I think), and then go to 0.
4. Press the FUNC button until 2 is displayed in the left of the display
5. Use the UP/DOWN keys to select the DMX start channel.. In my case, the buttons weren't very responsive. I needed to hold down the buttons a bit, and sometimes release and try again in order for them to register... You need to choose a number one below your start DMX channel.. So to set the flood to 3,4,5, you need to have 2 selected.
6. Hit the "Action" button, and then hit it again. (so twice) The flood should react to this with a couple colour changes.
7. All done - you can disconnect the flood, and it'll be re-programmed.
The programmer actually then adds 3 to the start channel for you automatically, so if you're programming a group of floods, just leave the device turned on, swap the DMX cable to the next one, and hit "action" twice again, and the next one will be done.

At the very least, this post should be a useful reference for myself, but hopefully it helps someone else out!

Cheers

Kane

jediknight2

Full time elf
I wonder if it uses the 3-channel dmx controller that Holiday Coro uses, http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DMX-512-Module-decoder-DC12V-input/701799_307297826.html and if it can use that USB programmer to change the channels? Even if it doesn't use that module..I wonder if it can be used....for the price of another flood...I'd be tempted to cut out the DMX inside the flood and solder in one I have a programmer for...

Anyone try to program with this programmer with Ray's floods?? http://www.holidaycoro.com/product-p/54-2.htm

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
Great post kane,
I know alot of people have gotten inverted channel ones from ray in the past.
If only you made this post weeks earlyer, as everyone was looking at them.
Thanks for the update,
Im sure alot of people will either 1. buy the programmer, or 2. get you to program them. ;)
alec.

daryl

New elf
Kane said:
Hey All

I'm sure this will come up for someone else in the future, so I thought I'd post some information that may help others out.

As per a post from David_AVD a while back, Ray has some RGB flood lights with an integrated DMX controller/led driver in them - 10w and 30w ones - here are the links. (the 30w ones are huge!). They produce a heap of light and are priced very well.
10w @ 12V: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/10W-RGB-DMX-flood-light-DC12V-input/701799_550394253.html
30w @ 24V: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/30W-RGB-DMX-flood-light-DC24V-input-can-be-controlled-by-dmx-controller-directly/701799_577673325.html

In my case, I had asked Ray to set the DMX channels to certain channels, but for some reason they weren't programmed properly, so eventually he sent me over a "DMX Address writer", which is a model 3031, which you can get from this url.. This might be handy for other people that want to change the pre-programmed start channels.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/AT3031-DMX-address-writer-for-setting-the-dmx-address-of-AT-series-dmx-decoders-drivers/701799_578769983.html

The problem is, it comes with no instructions, so I had to get Ray to explain how to use it... So just in case someone else buys the above (and perhaps ends up here via google), this is all you need to do:

2. Cut the ribbon connector supplied with the programmer, and connect the 3 wires to the right of the programmer to GND, DMX+ and DMX- (there is a label on the back of the programmer). You don't need to connect the SOUT wire. (in my case, I use black 3-core waterproof connectors for my dmx cabling, so I simply connected a connector to the ribbon cable)
3. Put 3 AA batteries in, and turn on the programmer (leave the 4 dip switches at 0). It'll show a couple numbers on the display (1-7-2 I think), and then go to 0.
5. Use the UP/DOWN keys to select the DMX start channel.. In my case, the buttons weren't very responsive. I needed to hold down the buttons a bit, and sometimes release and try again in order for them to register... You need to choose a number one below your start DMX channel.. So to set the flood to 3,4,5, you need to have 2 selected.
6. Hit the "Action" button, and then hit it again. (so twice) The flood should react to this with a couple colour changes.
The programmer actually then adds 3 to the start channel for you automatically, so if you're programming a group of floods, just leave the device turned on, swap the DMX cable to the next one, and hit "action" twice again, and the next one will be done.

At the very least, this post should be a useful reference for myself, but hopefully it helps someone else out!

Cheers

Kane
Thanks for the info... His prices are pretty darn good for DMX floods... I was worried about buying them because of not having any documentation.. But with your writeup, I think I will buy a few..
-Daryl

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
jediknight2 said:
I wonder if it uses the 3-channel dmx controller that Holiday Coro uses, http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DMX-512-Module-decoder-DC12V-input/701799_307297826.html and if it can use that USB programmer to change the channels? Even if it doesn't use that module..I wonder if it can be used....for the price of another flood...I'd be tempted to cut out the DMX inside the flood and solder in one I have a programmer for...

The other 3 channel DMX modules are Constant Voltage (CV) type, but I suspect the DMX flood light requires a Constant Current (CC) type. Using a CV module in place of a CC one will almost certainly kill the LEDs.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Thanks Kane. I grabbed a 10w last week and didn't know we had to tell him the start channels before purchase. Awesome Effort. :D

kane

Dedicated elf
jediknight2 said:

Anyone try to program with this programmer with Ray's floods?? http://www.holidaycoro.com/product-p/54-2.htm
I don't have a USB DMX dongle, so couldn't even test that one out.

kane

Dedicated elf
ѕυρєямαη said:
Thanks Kane. I grabbed a 10w last week and didn't know we had to tell him the start channels before purchase. Awesome Effort. :D
They'll come with a sticker on the back eg "No: 4", which generally means it's the 4th group of 3 channels, so will be 13,14,15, but don't take the sticker as gospel - do some testing on other channels if that's not correct.

kane

Dedicated elf
smartalec said:
Great post kane,
I know alot of people have gotten inverted channel ones from ray in the past.
If only you made this post weeks earlyer, as everyone was looking at them.
Thanks for the update,
Im sure alot of people will either 1. buy the programmer, or 2. get you to program them. ;)
alec.

Yes, that was my issue - the DMX controller was programmed to the correct channels, but somehow 11 out of the 13 were programmed incorrectly and the DMX values were inverted - sending 0,0,0 had the flood on full-white, while 255,255,255 was off..

Took a bunch of confusing conversations with Ray to finally work out that something was wrong with the programming - and only received the programmer yesterday to fix them up.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
I only ordered 1 to test and play with. it didn't come with a sticker but was set to ch 1,2,3

Kane said:
ѕυρєямαη said:
They'll come with a sticker on the back eg "No: 4", which generally means it's the 4th group of 3 channels, so will be 13,14,15, but don't take the sticker as gospel - do some testing on other channels if that's not correct.

kane

Dedicated elf
ѕυρєямαη said:
I only ordered 1 to test and play with. it didn't come with a sticker but was set to ch 1,2,3
Love the consistency!

Just in case anyone can read chinese, Ray sent me the instruction manual for this programmer

Tried running through google translater, and you get some very interesting chingrish. But I can see how they stuffed up the programming on the ones he sent me - they obviously chose mode 3 or 4, which seems to correspond to"RGB Reverse Equipment" instead of 1 or 2 which is "Forward Equipment"

Attachments

• At3031 - DMX Writer.pdf
    182.3 KB · Views: 38

Gary Martin

New elf
Kane said:
Hey All

Cheers

Kane

Ahhh, thank you a TON for posting this! ;) I was staring at my new 3031 wondering what all that Chinese writing on the front actually said and how to use it! ;)

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Just wanted to note this more for myself than anything...

You know you have set it when the screen on the writer says 0000 (or 000) then says "3no5o" :)