RGB Floods

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
So that sounds like a system that requires specific hardware to opperate? (phot links to old thread no longer work so I can't visualise the hardware components.)
All I was looking for was to use CAT cable to carry both power & data signals, so essentially, yes I can.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
P-DMX is just a term we coined for combining power + DMX data over a CAT5 cable.

You don't need specific hardware to implement it, although i have made some boards that incorporate it.

The wiring / pin assignments are here in the P-DMX column of the "DMX Pin Comparison" table.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Full time elf
Hi,

I have not been able to get these working! They flash dmx signal but seem to be in sound mode, as they change when bumped or noise is present.

Not sure what the issue is.

Have dmx settings correct in xlights.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Make sure the DIP switches on the lights are set to a valid DMX address (not all off).

One of the switches (usually #10) sets lights like this into sound mode in many cases.

Jimbo

Full time elf
Make sure the DIP switches on the lights are set to a valid DMX address (not all off).

One of the switches (usually #10) sets lights like this into sound mode in many cases.
Thanks!

These lights don't have a dip switch but a led panel you select the channel

battle79

Full time elf
So I'm finally getting around to putting these together for use next year.

Planning to use 6 core security cable (because I have it already) to join them together.

My question is about the DMX common/DMX ground, am I right in assuming this can be connected to the ground of the power feed?

With 6 wires I'm planning two for 12V and ground and one each for DMX+ and DMX-, but this only works if the DMX common is same as ground?

Regards,
Rowan

battle79

Full time elf
Awesome thanks David, thought it was as my understanding is its just the shield (if we were using proper DMX cables), but wanted to check before I soldered it all up.

Regards,
Rowan