RGB Floods

franky_888

Full time elf
BradsXmasLights said:
It appears the XLR DMX - & + pins 2/3 are wired in reverse.

I'm sure whoever it was that introduced them to us had them working. Were all of yours back to front? Is mine?

kmart_rgb_flood_circuit.png

I don't have a board capable of driving these yet so if you're able to have a look at least I'll know when the time comes. Feel free to steal the image for the wiki if you wish (I don't have enough posts yet!)[/attach]

JPB

Full time elf
And this probably explains why mine dont work either.
But i made a promise to myself that i had to complete the 2016 repair list before I had a serious play with 2017 items.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

lytnin

Full time elf
I have a DMX Console that I tested every light I purchased with.

The first one had 3 red LED's not working out of the box (returned). All others working fine with the console.

I haven't tried any through a controller yet as I only had the one XLR cable

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
BradsXmasLights said:
Has anyone actually got these working on DMX yet?

It appears the XLR DMX - & + pins 2/3 are wired in reverse.

Very easy to fix, on the small board behind the XLR sockets, just swap the black & white wires around. It's also interesting to note that the PCB has pin 3 marked as "GND" (and is a black wire) - but this isn't true as Pin 1 = GND = Red wire.

Thanks a LOT Brad, I couldn't get these floods to work. Have just swapped black and white wire on one and tested successfully both with da_dmx and xLights.

updated:
Can be set to 2 modes in xLights:

If unit set to A00x then:
only need the 3 channels of DMX in xLights - channels 1, 2 & 3 for R, G, & B; 0-255 for intensity of each.
If unit set to d00x then:
set 7 channels as per instructions - 1 = dimming; 2,3,4 = RGB; 5=strobe speed; 6 = self propelled speed (?); 7 = various built in programs.

NOTE: When unit set to d00x, when set ch 7 to one of the built in programs the flood kept doing that program (eg lights still active flashing on and off) even after turning output to lights off, and even closing down xLights.

Now if we could get Gil to add a new DMX Style in layout for Dumb RGB Floods that would be even better. :D

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
The mileage with the DMX polarity being reversed will probably vary depending on the actual DMX transmitter/desk being used.

I'll test it with a DMX desk tonight hopefully.

GCAllan

New elf
Got six, did the Brad swap and working fine.

Thanks Brad for the fix.

Ryan got the six from Robina, there was only 7. The seventh box was missing all the hanging cradles.

B_P_J

Full time elf
BradsXmasLights said:
Just tested on a DMX desk (a generic 24ch scene setter console) - and it too didn't work with the unmodified units.
I must have been lucky, wired it up as in the 101 manual and plugged into the P12S and away they went, curious.. maybe I reversed not even knowing...

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
Here's the problematic DMX connectors in question on the left, fixed version on the right...
KmartDMX.jpg

And to mod for RJ45 connectors:

KmartDMX2.jpg

Excuse the messy soldering - it was re-hacked when it didn't initially work :p

RJ45 T568A Colour / wire order: Green (Pin 2), Green/White (Pin 1), Brown/White (Pin 7)

Attachments

• Image7.png
    Image7.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 49

Roosta

Full time elf
Hey guy,

So i pulled my rgb floods apart to test options for display use..

I found when i removed the LED lenses the flood spreads much more and colouurs mix better..

Pic of front removed and clear perspex over the top to test..

IMG_4793_zpshrigwyys.jpg

Various videos testing distances and angles

50cm from wall, 45degree

http://vid100.photobucket.com/albums/m27/Roosta_DFDFDF/Blinky%20Stuff/IMG_4794_zpsaloip5tb.mp4

50cm from wall, almost straight up
http://vid100.photobucket.com/albums/m27/Roosta_DFDFDF/Blinky%20Stuff/IMG_4795_zpskbqfjz5y.mp4

1m from wall, 45 degree

http://vid100.photobucket.com/albums/m27/Roosta_DFDFDF/Blinky%20Stuff/IMG_4797_zpszh7qclsl.mp4

Think i will be going with 45-60 degree, 1m from the wall..

I will also be enclosing mine in a box, to weatherproof them, disguised as presents, including some pixel nodes, just because :-D

Cheers,
Nik