Separate Power Outlets LOR 240v

BoonDogs

I am self diagnosed with CLAP
I'm planning on getting the 16 channel LOR controller where you add your own wires and all
http://store.lightorama.com/ctcotrbo1.html

I want to wire them up so they go to a board with power outlets. Any ideas on where I can find 'double' or four gang outlets where the active is switched separately? Otherwise I have to use big single power outlets and they're just too big?

Is anybody selling any of these boards or the already build 16 channel ones for reasonable prices?

Cheers

B_P_J

Full time elf
Ok so I am thinking 2 different things here, may need clarifying a little do you mean:

A)
JAPT1816_jackson_ky_jackson_6_way_switch_surge_pb_black.jpg
JAPT1814US_jackson_ka_jackson_4_way_switch_usb_p_b_black.jpg
I do like this one!
http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/jackson-6-outlet-switched-powerboard-surge-protection-black-japt1816
http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/jackson-4-way-switch-usb-powerboard-japt1814us

or

B)
logquopow-1.jpg

http://www.electrotraders.com.au/logix-quad-4-way-power-point-gpo-outlet

Just a start but plenty of different types around and I am sure you will find different prices,

BoonDogs

I need something where each individual outlet has its own wires going into the back

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I don't think you'll find what you're after. LOR boxes usually have a bunch of inline sockets on tails for the outlets.

BoonDogs

David_AVD said:
I don't think you'll find what you're after. LOR boxes usually have a bunch of inline sockets on tails for the outlets.

I've seen Clyde from Leechburg lights do it with his LOR boxes, I know they exist, its just finding where they are

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
He is possibly using 1 power board per output. This allows the use of cheap power boards rather than extension leads on the outputs and multiple lights can be plugged into it. I don't think that you will actually find what you are looking for as there isn't any mains cable that provides more than 4 conductors in it and that doesn't get fitted off to a standard 3 pin plug. If you really wanted to you could mod up the switched style power board but you are still left with the problem of getting mains cable of more than 3 (or 4) cores from the power board into the LOR enclosure.
If you have a look at Ryans photo gallery at http://ryanschristmaslights.com/2009-photo-gallery/ in the setup photos section you can see an example of power boards used instead of extension lead tails.

BoonDogs

Hmm that seems a little messy...

We have different options for mains cable here that uses four cores (2-2.5mm)
I'll continue to investigate, I've seen them out there, I just don't remember where

BoonDogs

I'll just use these if I can't find what I'm after

Attachments

• IMG_0478.JPG
    IMG_0478.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0479.JPG
    IMG_0479.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 30

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
This type of thing is usually custom made and for the extra cost is it actually worth going down that path unless you are trying to run the controller and the outlets in 2 separate locations.
You would need to use an industrial multicore cable which are not cheap and then make up a distribution board to suit. You may get lucky and find something that was custom made for the LOR boards, but either way I doubt this solution will be cheap compared to running the tails and connecting power boards to that.

In my opinion 240v Christmas lights can get very dangerous if you don't know what you are doing and its better to remove transformers and controllers from the lighting and run them with a safer low voltage DC option and use something like the AHH mega boards unless you use a lot of 240v rope light and strings that don't have a power pack in which case is a risk in itself having all that cheap 240v lighting outdoors in a Christmas display with kids wanting to touch everything especially if you have got a lot of the cheap EBay or aliexpress mains voltage lighting.

BoonDogs

I found the name of them today. They're called 15/20 amp duplex receptacles in the US, I am yet to find an AU version. They support the ability to share a common neutral + earth and have separate line inputs

Attachments

• 9999c840-f274-4477-9c1c-f92a8708cfee_300.jpg
    9999c840-f274-4477-9c1c-f92a8708cfee_300.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 11

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
BoonDogs said:
I found the name of them today. They're called 15/20 amp duplex receptacles in the US, I am yet to find an AU version. They support the ability to share a common neutral + earth and have separate line inputs

Its not a good thing in the electrical world to share the neutral and have a separate line feed as this can be dangerous because if you isolate one circuit and there is power going through the other circuit then the neutral for that isolated circuit is still alive and can cause electrocution due to being fed from the still active circuit and causing a crossed over circuit
Be careful with what you do when dealing with 240volts because you do need to be a licensed electrician to work on this and if you cause a fire or electrocution from doing your own work then you will be in serious trouble.

BoonDogs

Fasteddy said:
BoonDogs said:

Its not a good thing in the electrical world to share the neutral and have a separate line feed as this can be dangerous because if you isolate one circuit and there is power going through the other circuit then the neutral for that isolated circuit is still alive and can cause electrocution due to being fed from the still active circuit and causing a crossed over circuit
Be careful with what you do when dealing with 240volts because you do need to be a licensed electrician to work on this and if you cause a fire or electrocution from doing your own work then you will be in serious trouble.

These would be purely for the 240vac controllers, if I wanted to isolate, it's as simple as unplugging the controller

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
BoonDogs said:
Fasteddy said:
BoonDogs said:

These would be purely for the 240vac controllers, if I wanted to isolate, it's as simple as unplugging the controller

There are some dual gang power points that can allow you to do the same thing you are wanting to do by just removing the bridging wire between the 2 outlets

BoonDogs

Fasteddy said:
BoonDogs said:
Fasteddy said:
BoonDogs said:

There are some dual gang power points that can allow you to do the same thing you are wanting to do by just removing the bridging wire between the 2 outlets

I've never seen these before, do you know where I could find them?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
BoonDogs said:
Fasteddy said:
BoonDogs said:
Fasteddy said:
BoonDogs said:

I've never seen these before, do you know where I could find them?

Its been a while since ive done any installation work, but know they did exists, I cant remember which brand they were. Maybe try your local electrical wholesaler