SMART RGB - Addressing

BrianJ

Full time elf
yes the data line is continuous from the output to the last pixel.
the negative wire is continuous from the controller to the last pixel.
the positive line If you are using the same supply and just injecting could be continuous as well

the only one not continuous is the positive feed if you are using different supplies.

yzguy96

Full time elf
ok so how do you wire it if using different power supplies? I bought pigtails but looks like i have to take the neutral and data wire coming from the strip and then add the positive from another power source. So I need to calculate my distance and create that pigtail in advance? I was hoping I could just make wires with pigtails and plug and play.

BrianJ

Full time elf
Everywhere where you are injecting power do not hook up the tail end of the strip positive line to the pigtail, only attach the grounds and data line to the pigtail.

yzguy96

Full time elf
but i can take the new positive and solder it to the pigtail so I keep a nice waterproof connection? Or DO I use 2 pigtails..1 for the data and neutral and 1 for the new positive?

yzguy96

Full time elf
Can I inject power in the middle of my run or must I start at my first window and work in series?

yzguy96

Full time elf
I did read it. I can inject in between string but I can't inject in the middle and work outward to left and right of my windows?

Slite

Full time elf
Sure you can inject in the middle, thats what I do with my minitrees, 2 x 50ct, 5 volt rgb strings that has the connection hooked up between them so I "inject" the power in the middle of the tree instead.

yzguy96

Full time elf
Hi

I've been soldering and planning all night and been testing along the way. I noticed that when in have consecutive strips hooked up the I see the end strips are yellow and not white like the first. I only have 3 hooked up so am I losing that much power?

burner

Full time elf
You could always chuck a multimeter on the yellow end, and see the voltage drop 1st hand. The voltage drop will depend on how long your strings are and the size of your cabling (thickness of the copper inside). I always use the freeway analogy of more lanes = more traffic/current flow.

yzguy96

Full time elf
OK I will do that...I think its my soldering skills lol.... I was using 14 gauge wire but also using 22 gauge to connect it to the strip cause the 14 gauge was thick.

yzguy96

Full time elf
I only used small stuff to solder the leads on the strips and make my 90 degree angles only 2 inch of wire. I did some test on ray wu 2811 strip and I must have got a bad bunch cause the strip looses 2 volts from one end to the other of the 5m strip...it goes from 12v to 10v? Anyone have the same? Now I'm trying to inject power on each string. At this rate I'll never have my display up.