Step down regulator boards

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I found some little DC-DC stepdown regulator boards on AliExpress a few months ago. They use an LM2596 switching regulator and provide up to 3 Amps depending on the model. The ones I got were about USD $20 for 5 pieces delivered.

davidavd LM2596_Board Step Down Regulator PCB.jpg

Another ACL member found a similar item on eBay. There are a heap of variants, but if you search for LM2596, you should find them easily enough.

Others have bought larger (higher current) versions that appear to be potted (epoxied) into a metal case / heatsink.

These boards could be used in display elements, dropping some common supply voltage (24V DC for example) down to whatever the item needs.

I encourage other members to post about the ones they've found and used in their displays.

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Ouch there Expensive david, i guess you never searched first for a cheaper supply first.
here is a supplyer an for $20 he'll send you 7 of them. :D
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/464343022-LM2596-DC-DC-Step-Down-Adjustable-Power-Supply-Module-OT140-wholesalers.html
Even your ebay link is cheaper, get 7 for under $20
i have 1 for each of my ren64's, an will soon have 1 for each of my floods
they work great an enables you to keep a constant voltage to your display (eg 24v)
just watch with the amps tho, personally i wouldn't go higher than 2amp for the rated 3amp ones, afterall they are made in china :D

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Anything under $5 a board is cheap I reckon. Remember I bought these some time ago. I see there are many suppliers of the same / similar board now. Competition must be fierce, so that's good for us. :)

As for the current ratings, it's not a matter of "made in China". It's purely to do with the circuit and board design.

Someone else on ACL bought some chunkier (5A ?) ones, but not sure if they've tried them out yet.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Driver said:
Have you got any idea of what these would be like? They claim a 5A rating...

Hard to say. Doesn't specify if they are switchmode or linear, but more than likely switchmode I guess. Interesting that they say AC/DC input and output - how odd !