Temp Sensor Display

mangoat

Full time elf
Hi Guys,

Just floating around the idea of a few things in idea here ok.

Ive developed a super basic temperature display ldc so people can monitor the inside temps of their control boxes without opening them, to make sure they are ok.

Now, as a secondary idea, i mean, i am no genius at this so it might take some time, but i am considering adding the extra feature of a fan cut on/off control that would allow you to have the fans cut on and off at a desired temp. not sure if i would make this adjustable or just set it at a temp that could be agreed on.

i would like to have some thoughts on this from some people here and any sort of display of interest for such an item.

cheers.

goat

p.s. i have attached a pic of my current board ive made to try just to show you the whole plan. obviously this is messy and basic, but let me know your thoughts.

IMAG0420_zpsrbaxbr6r.jpg
IMAG0422_zpsta3pdlsz.jpg

davrus

Silent elf
I'm surprised that no one has done this already.

I like your idea.

I was looking for was one that would work over ethernet, so you can centrally see the current state of the show equipment. The PixLite controllers have this.

But if your solution was cheap, then I would be quite happy to go for a walk to check them all out (bit difficult for the ones up on the roof. But if the LED display is big enough, should be able to see it from a distance).

As to fans, some fans have a built-in switch that turns them on when it gets hot. (actually, I will have to test mine to see if it does that, probably not because it was cheap). If you are using Ray Wu's standard power supplies, their fans do have a temperature sensor.

Another idea, maybe have a bright LED that flashes if the temperature goes above a threshold. Then you can see a problem state from a distance.

mangoat

Full time elf
maybe a blue and red led just below the screen, blue for ok (cool) red for over the threshold temp (hot) ???

hmmmm, ive not thought about long distance viewing as mine would be just at ground level.

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
There was a arduino project in the making to do fans an read temps an send the information wirelessly back to a LCD display live.
but that user ended up getting a life before i got his code from him,..
hopefully he re-vists again

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
I'd thought about some sort of temperature & water-leak monitoring system using ethernet arduino(s). For me, remotely monitoring would be a key requirement.

But that's as far as I got on that idea.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
A nice reliable fan seems like the solution to the problem :)

davrus

Silent elf

mangoat

Full time elf
so lets call this a "not really interested" "thanks but no thanks"????

mine is just for piece of mind, i have 1 control box at the moment. im easy. im not up with this whole communication thing, i guess david might be, but im certainly not.

mine will be a manual, get off your ass, go out and enjoy.

thanks for the feedback. might just make them up for myself and show you the final result, and go from there.

cheers.
goat

multicast

Senior elf
don't want to state the obvious, but every Stellascapes controller since the E16-2 has included an onboard temp sensor, so you can check to see whats going on.

mangoat

Full time elf
mmmm, i understand, but if you arent using them?? maybe we should delete this thread and call it a seriously bad idea on my behalf.

sorry for attempting to throw an idea out there.

nzlongfellow

Dennis from NZ
mangoat, don't throw the idea away, i guess we all look for solutions differently depending on our skills and knowledge. Yours was a good idea - just grew a few different legs. :D