Wanted - new project ideas!

Mike

CLAP infected!
sounds like I have a new project for next year David :) they have the standard adapters but i dont know if they can be retrofitted as such to DMX control

TimW

Full time elf
Mike said:
My idea is to interface DMX control with this
FULL_Color_LED_Pixel_Screen.jpg

They are joinable and have 64 LEDs in them. size is 33cm
Normally thay have some kind of VGA adapter card jobbie with them which is controlled by an SD card or has a live video feed into them.

They are quite cheap at around $150- $200 per square meter so you could build one quite large for say $500.
What I cant really figure out is the protocals they use or if there is a DMX enabled one around.

What I did find was that they use a 74HC595N IC
Input volage:5V
Color: RGB
LED Qty.:576 pcs 5mm LED Per Square meter
Size:32.5*32.5cm

and they have a PU cover.
Mike... If those are 8 x 5mm leds spread over 32.5 cm wouldn't the gaps between them be around 7 times the width of the led? I'd check the dimensions of this gear carefully...
(But if you need any help blowing it up, let me know!!! :) )
Btw the 595 chips were used on the original 'Olsen' DIY controllers. So they've been used in this hobby for a while!

Mike

CLAP infected!
Yeah its just an idea in the works. I havent asked about LED spacing as there are many other modules available.

I remember the olsen 595 controller, i read a little about it but didnt know it related to that chip. I read it when i was just starting out.

Anyway there will be more research to come

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I'm always happy to help out with custom projects and a bit of reverse engineering. If you end up buying some of those modules, you can always send an extra one to me! :D

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
These could be nice to use for something like a matrix tree, you now have me thinking of the great uses for something like this