whats better strip or nodes for roof outline

jimmeh

New elf
hey guys
just wondering what would look better and be easier to put on my roof... nodes or strips and wondering how you guys have secured your lights on your roof outlines? as i cannot put holes in my roof because its colorbond so cannot drill :(
any help and advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

scamper

Dedicated elf
I don't have outlines, but, I have windows outlined etc.
On the roof, I actually have a tin roof and remove some of the screws then secure them back down with some brackets under them to mount blowups etc. so you could look at doing that, just make sure you don't damage the seal on the screw when you put it back in.
As far as strips or nodes. What ever you like best.
if you use strips, you can get a stripping from bunnings that strips sit in quite nicely and you can mount the stripping permanently.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/suntuf-3-0m-x-8mm-clear-sunlite-polycarbonate-end-cap_p1010480
Nodes you can either go to the trouble of drilling pvc and pushing pixels through that and then using mounting clips that you can leave up permanently and just remove the pvc, or try and get some boscoyo strip and either cable tie or mount some other way.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/deta-25mm-conduit-mounting-clip-2-pack_p4330823
https://www.boscoyostudio.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_6&products_id=2

keithsw1111

Senior elf
IMHO strip looks better but nodes are less hassle. Strips have 2 common failures.

1. They leak. If you use them add extra silicone
2. They break at the strip solder joins. Be very careful about tying them down too rigidly or stretching and bending them. Once the solder joins break you have to cut wire and reseal. It is a real pain and the main reason strip are not popular.

jimmeh

New elf
thanks guys for the advice! might have to look into it and get up on the roof and see what would be best in terms of as little damage vs easiness vs looks vs money lol i might even have to scrap the idea for this year....i got told today that my hours at work have been cut dramatically :( but thanks again guys!

marmalade

cats & pixels
not to mention the strip draws a lot more current for the distance (one 5m strip (150 leds) at full white can draw up to 9A) You can get away with 60% brightness though without any noticeable difference. But imo they do look much better when outlining architecture.

B_P_J

Full time elf
Throwing in my 2 cents... I prefer strips for outlines, they make it so easy to get nice straight lines, as long as your smart when powering them, from memory I used a figure 8 power cable about every 2.5-5m, hmmm will need to really look at what I am doing this year....

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
I use 12v strip for roof/garage outlines. Yes they do have issues with being messy to repair if a section fails, but overall easy to get nice straight lines. I ziptie strip onto 25mm conduit, then ziptie the conduit to the tiled roof using ziptie mounts, which I have siliconed permanently on the roof.

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.