What's wanted

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Alan and I have been talking about a board to control a fan. It would have a wired Ethernet connection and a web interface.

I was thinking of two controlled outputs so you could have one fan come on at a certain temp and the second at a higher point.

You could log in to check current temperature and to set the trip points.

It could possibly also be used as a heater control for those in cold areas.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Alan and I have been talking about a board to control a fan. It would have a wired Ethernet connection and a web interface.

I was thinking of two controlled outputs so you could have one fan come on at a certain temp and the second at a higher point.

I threw a few extra ideas at David. A temperature history graph as well the possibly the ability to turn on 1 of the outputs on a schedule rather than temperature.

stormboy2340

New elf
I did read somewhere that inrush current can be a problem when powering up several power supplies at the same time.
Would it be worth while and cost effective to have something that distributes the 240v mains through multiple outlets (power supply's) with some sort of delay.
Eg
Outlet 1 turns on then 10ms later outlet 2 and so forth

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
I did read somewhere that inrush current can be a problem when powering up several power supplies at the same time.
Would it be worth while and cost effective to have something that distributes the 240v mains through multiple outlets (power supply's) with some sort of delay.
Eg
Outlet 1 turns on then 10ms later outlet 2 and so forth

That is correct so normal timers and digital timers don't work with multiple power supplies hooked up.

I was looking at building something myself like you have suggested but came across these so bought one to try and they are great no issues yet.

https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/SONOFF-4C...971198&hash=item3f9160204d:g:ydkAAOSwDkVaeRaO

burnt

Full time elf

if possible to have more then one ethernet connection and voltage logging of 4 inputs

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
if possible to have more then one ethernet connection and voltage logging of 4 inputs

Can't do more than one Ethernet connection easily and most people already have a network switch anyway ?

I have pondered a voltage measurement function before, but didn't think it would be useful.

stormboy2340

New elf
That is correct so normal timers and digital timers don't work with multiple power supplies hooked up.

I was looking at building something myself like you have suggested but came across these so bought one to try and they are great no issues yet.

https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/SONOFF-4C...971198&hash=item3f9160204d:g:ydkAAOSwDkVaeRaO
I had considered something like that, I was hoping to find something that my pi could control. So my pi could turn on all my power supplies 5mins before and 5mins after my show.

Rickras85

Apprentice elf

Similar to geoff. I use an omron zen plc. That at a set time turn each output (8) on with a few seconds delay between each. I actually drive some relays to handle the loads. Much easier to replace a blown/worn out relay then to have an output on the plc or what Geoff uses goes.

ElSalZi

Full time elf
In our Town, the older houses (ex mini houses) all have/had massive ducted AC units. Each one has a relay of some sort which was designed to stop all the Acs turning on at the same time after a power failure... seems like it is a time-delay really...

One of the first things the local sparky removed after servicing the unit... :laugh:

But then, now most have converted to Split System ACs.

kane

Dedicated elf
One thing I did have in mind was an E1.31 controlled power relay for switching the power supplies in a controller box on and off for each show.

I've done a DMX version before and while it works well, it does require a DMX input which a lot of people have moved away from these days.

Yes, the DMX version worked great for me. The separately controlled relays worked well to stagger the starting up of power supplies.

I agree that an e1.31 version would be better for newer displays as it negates the need to have a permanently powered e1.31 to DMX bridge online.

That being said, looking at those cheap Sonoff switches, perhaps it'd be hard to compete with those.

Something else that had been discussed a while back was a relay to control the audio level of outside speakers.

It was to drop the level when no people had been detected (by a PIR) for a while.
This would be quite good, especially if you could control volume - I had a small amplifier in the garage connected to speakers, and when I remembered, I'd go into the garage to turn it down gradually through the night. Would be handy to be able to set a schedule for this. (but also have a way of overriding manually at certain times)

marmalade

cats & pixels
..how about a dmx/sacn to ILDA controller,no reason xlights can't control rgb laser scanners with an interface & some software updates

Just a micro & a few dacs would be enough to get some something off the ground.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
..how about a dmx/sacn to ILDA controller,no reason xlights can't control rgb laser scanners with an interface & some software updates

Just a micro & a few dacs would be enough to get some something off the ground.

Not sure how many people would use an ILDA capable laser in their display. It would be a lot of R&D for very few users I suspect.