Wiring harness???

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
pipersmall said:
Between the mid point and end point I would then assume that there will be unused wires left in the core?
Yes, I carefully cut into the cable at the mid points and fished out the wires I needed for those connections. Those wires in the latter sections are unused, but no real advantage in removing them even if I could.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
It is an 18 core cable I got on special at Element14 (Farnell) about a year ago.

Each core is 7/0.2mm I think, so that's approx 24 AWG and good for about an Amp.

westy27

Apprentice elf
Just managed to pick up a 100 m roll of 12 core 7/.2mm from Dick Smith clearance for $25. Just walked in and made an offer as they are not stocking cable anymore.

I

indudio

Hey David,

In regards to the D Sub connector, when you say it is rated for 1 amp, is that per pin or for the whole plug combined?

Looking at making wiring harnesses for my big w lights to make things easier this year.

Also where did you get your cable from?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
indudio said:
In regards to the D Sub connector, when you say it is rated for 1 amp, is that per pin or for the whole plug combined?

The 1A rating is per pin, so if any of the pins are a common wire, you'd need to take that into account.

indudio said:
Also where did you get your cable from?

I got my cable from Element14 (nee Farnell) when it was on a run-out super super special. That exact type is normally quite expensive.