2012 BigW 160 bulb LED Lights - How to bypass multi-function

BenGus

New elf
Hey all!

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck bypassing the multifunction controller on this years BigW LED lights. They arent the connectable ones, just the $10 packs (160 bulbs). The ID on the controller is DM-K1.1 and it looks fairly simple but I can't seem to find a diagram on the wiki that matches it.

Attachments

• IMG_1459.JPG
    IMG_1459.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1460.JPG
    IMG_1460.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 52

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I like a challenge! :D

First thing is to see if the plugpack is AC or DC output. I have my suspicions that's it's DC due to the controller layout.

BenGus

New elf
Hey David,

Thanks for that, I shall go and solder her up now and let you know.

The plug pack reads as this:

Input: 230 - 240V ~ 50Hz
Output: 31V - 8VA

BenGus

New elf
Works like a charm, thank-you very much! Just a note for anyone considering purchasing these, there is a slight delay from when the lights are turned on to when they light up (about 1 second). So these really wouldn't be suitable for a lot of animation :(

cozbert

Full time elf
there is no reason you couldnt remove the controller completely and connect it straight upto a DC controller board eg DV24.

i have done for all of my bigw lights this year. :)

cozbert

Full time elf
yep :) you can also hook up the 2 different strings to different outputs if you have them to create effects with your controller.

penguineer

Full time elf
cozbert said:
there is no reason you couldnt remove the controller completely and connect it straight upto a DC controller board eg DV24.

i have done for all of my bigw lights this year. :)

BenGus said:
Does that remove the delay?

It seems pretty quick to me :D

I've done this with the one set of these lights I have for use on a star-frame on my (small) megatree, with both strings used together.

Note that this is with a DC controller running 30V though......NOT 240V AC.....

Cheers!

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
WARNING WARNING ! Got your attention?

I'm now guessing that the plugpack is lightweight and therefore a switch-mode type.

Using these with a lighting controller is very risky as any dimming could see both the controller output and plugpack go up in smoke.

I think your best (only) option is to use these strings with a DC controller if you want to animate them.

BenGus said:
Works like a charm, thank-you very much! Just a note for anyone considering purchasing these, there is a slight delay from when the lights are turned on to when they light up (about 1 second). So these really wouldn't be suitable for a lot of animation :(

cozbert

Full time elf
i am using just the strings with the controllers removed connected to my DC24 with an external 10A 24V power supply not the supplied plug packs :)

penguineer

Full time elf
David_AVD said:
WARNING WARNING ! Got your attention?

I'm now guessing that the plugpack is lightweight and therefore a switch-mode type.

bigw-2012-warmwhite-160ct-800_zps1b63c1e7.jpg

"Lightweight" doesn't even start to describe it. It's about 1/4 the volume of the standard BigW 24V plugpack and a fraction of the weight......

Cheers!

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Yeah, I saw switch-mode power supplies on some Kmart light sets in 2010 and wondered if it would be an increasing trend.

This is definitely something to be very wary of. Dimming them (or even switching on/off) with a typical Christmas light AC controller could result in fireworks and bad smells for both the plugpack and/or the controller.

Shmav78

New elf
Is it possible to just remove the controller box altogether and not use the diode bridge?