3D Printable 70cm 150 node star

Freman

Uh Oh Elf
Generous elf
Hi

My first Christmas design is a 3D printable 70 odd cm (it's like 73cm, or 69cm if you're measuring led distance) 150 node star.

With many thanks to @AussiePhil for testing iterations and encouraging me to increase the border thickness for rigidity. I present a thingiverse link.

star.png

Attachments

• photo_2021-09-20_19-06-28.jpg
    photo_2021-09-20_19-06-28.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 23

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
I look forward to trying to print one of these when the printer is dialed in.

rippernz

New elf
Good work..

I see that you have used PETG,
how hot do these yet?
Will PLA+ work?

Freman

Uh Oh Elf
Generous elf
Good work..

I see that you have used PETG,
how hot do these yet?
Will PLA+ work?
PLA+ would probably work, buuuuut in the Queensland Sun, I suspect I'd end up with a star that looked more like this
1632129096662.png

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
I took me a little while to work this out but here's how i'm going to set up the pixels.
This is going inside my larger 100 pixel star so the 30-50-70-100 progression works quite well in xlights, and i should be able to drive it all from one port

Won't know till some new pixels arrive

star pixel order.PNG

Freman

Uh Oh Elf
Generous elf
I took me a little while to work this out but here's how i'm going to set up the pixels.
This is going inside my larger 100 pixel star so the 30-50-70-100 progression works quite well in xlights, and i should be able to drive it all from one port

Won't know till some new pixels arrive
I took mine in the middle at the bottom (basically just as recommended by xlights), signal+power in one side, power injection in the other

EddieV

New elf
Interesting as i was thinking of something similar but cut on my laser cutter. Last year was the first time i brought any pixels and had a crack at making anything like this and routed one from MDF on my CNC router. It was to be mounted in an area with lots of protection so i wasn't concerned but this year i thought an upgrade to acrylic would be good which would mean it could be mounted where ever i wish. These end up 550xx490 roughly and take 144 Pixels

This is how my first one turned out and was looking for inspiration on how to improve on it

EddieV

New elf
Man, that looks great, what's to improve?
Mainly just making the backing from 2mm acrylic mostly so its weather proof i think. Looking around at other ideas for inspiration perhaps for some leaping arches and how to do the outline of the roof, walls and windows

CSR

New elf
What printer did you print this one on? I see the thingiverse says it was an Ender-3 which I think has a smaller than 300x300 build plate.
Got an Ender-6 to print with and this looks really cool, just trying to work out how you print it. New to the 3D printing scene.

Freman

Uh Oh Elf
Generous elf
CR-10S Pro V2 - has a 300x310 bed (tho it only sees it as 300x300). Make sure you don't have skirt or brim enabled.

rebeccamclellan

New elf
Hi

My first Christmas design is a 3D printable 70 odd cm (it's like 73cm, or 69cm if you're measuring led distance) 150 node star.

With many thanks to @AussiePhil for testing iterations and encouraging me to increase the border thickness for rigidity. I present a thingiverse link.

View attachment 18094
@jules_beck we could get anthony to do these up for us.