Beaglebone black ethernet (eth0) not working

JCooper

New elf
Hi Guys,

I have just started playing around with pixels and have a beagebone black cape (Hanson HE123). I have flashed the beaglebone emmc with FPP and everything works fine when connected with USB (192.168.7.1). But, when I connect it directly to the computer or via a router, the beaglebone cannot be found.

I have read that the beaglebone might have an issue with the ethernet not working due to a hardware issue. CAn anyone confirm this?

Has anyone experienced this and if possible know of a fix?

Thanks in advance.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Have you configured a static IP on the BBB while it was still connected to the USB. It should be in the same IP range as your computer and router. eg. 10.0.0.xxx or 192.168.0.xxx with a netmask of either 255.255.0.0 or 255.255.255.0 depending on your knowledge of your network.
A screenshot of your BBB network setup within FPP cold help work out the issue.
Your computer IP and router IP's can be found by going to a command prompt via CMD and typing in "ipconfig". It will list.your IPv4 IP which will be either 10.x.x.x or 192.x.x.x. The default gateway will give you the IP for your router.

JCooper

New elf
Thanks Alan.

These are the settings with no router from both FPP(via usb) and CMD (only ethernet).
upload_2019-8-9_7-41-41.png

upload_2019-8-9_7-49-12.png

AAH

It's the IP's that you have once you're connected to the router that are important. The IPconfig screenshot shows what I think is the default fallback IP for when no network is detected. Connect to your router and then post the same screenshot. The IP's that show then will affect what you need to set your BBB to.

JCooper

New elf
Alan,

Your a champion. Managed to get it to work with 192.168.1.3. However should i use this IP address? or change them all?

upload_2019-8-9_10-13-45.png

AAH

I personally keep my pc's to low IP's x.x.x.1 to x.x.x.20 and my FPP's to x.x.x.100 to x.x.x.255. No particular reason other than so I can see at a glance if it's a PC or FPP that's on an IP. The only important thing is that they are all on the same IP range (192.168.1.x in your case) and that everything with a static IP is on a different IP in that range.