Cat 5 cable

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
I make the majority of my own as well, but thats me.
If you have the right tools and equipment its fine.
But then my blinky is predominantly DIY which means if I can make it I will.
having said that though, using $10 crimpers and cheap RJ45's you'll get more trouble than its worth.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
ԆцряєсϮ said:
..........having said that though, using $10 crimpers you'll get more trouble than its worth.

Uh oh. Should of known it was too good to be true.

JPB

Full time elf
It is not difficult when you get the hang of it. But having a good quality crimper and cat 5 sheath cutter make all the difference.

multicast

Senior elf
Re: Cat 5 cable - Use 2 part connectors ( with a load bar )

If you are making Cables, ( which i have to do sometimes ) then at least use RJ45 jacks with a load bar. These are pretty much mandatory if you are working with Cat6 cable, because its nearly impossible with out them. But with Cat5 cable it really saves you heaps of time. Now this guy in the video takes his time to do it, but i can do an end reliably in less than 60 seconds.

The two part RJ45 cost a few more cents than the regular ones, but not a lot. I think about $30/100

How to crimp a RJ45 plug with load bar

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks for the tip Andrew.

The funny thing was when I was looking at the process before I got the gear I watched a video that showed the load bar. I just assumed all connectors must come with one. Ordered mine and low and behold no load bar (not that I new that it was called that). Had to watch a whole new video to learn how to do it without one. Will be getting load bars from now on, especially since I've learnt what to ask for.

keithsw1111

Senior elf
Computer markets like the one held on Sundays at North rocks in Sydney at muirfield high school are a great place to get cheap cat 5 cables. You can get both new and recycled cables.

B_P_J

Full time elf
I always make my own leads, mind you i wired up almost every room in my house with at least 1 data point, but the advantage is i have been doing them for years, its part of my job, so i have a good set of crimps, and a tester to double check everything is fine, if your not sure buy a few extra RJ45 plugs and Cat5/6 and practice, that's what i ended up doing when i was learning, i reckon i made over 100 .25m or .5m patch leads at one stage to make sure i was getting it.

multicast

Senior elf
David_AVD said:
I found some of those 2-piece RJ45 plugs on eBay in 50 piece (shielded) and 100 piece (non shielded) packs.

The first link says to suit CAT6 so not sure if they work the same with CAT5 ?

yeah, they will work, but there is a difference between connectors for Stranded and solid cable. You'll get all sorts of badness if you mix them up.