cheap option for LOR CCR

bright spark

New elf
I noticed the other day that LOR are now selling the CCR controller on its own for $79. So for those of you have been looking at some other dicussions about making you own from bits sourced from Ray Wu's store, this may be a better alternative if you wish to keep the LOR network and not DMX. I have purchased a controller and a strip from Ray Wu, so will let you all know how it turns out when they all arrive.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I had a look at the LOR website but couldnt find the controller on its own, can you provide a link?
The CCR controller will only talk to the LOR brand strip and will not work with stirps from Ray Wu as they have a different IC chip in them, The LOR CCR is unknown as to what type of chip is used

bright spark

New elf
the chip is unknown as they have wiped the chips clean. But im sure some trial and error cant hurt to find out what works.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Phil and myself put the CCR onto an analyser a while back to check the data signal and one thing is for sure it is not like the WS2801 or the 6803 in its communications so the CCR controller will not run these strips.
But on saying that I have not actually connected up a 6803 or WS2801 strip to a CCR controller to see what happens, I suspect you will either get nothing or a bunch of random flickering of the lights.

EDIT: the CCR is a 6803 strip, tested and im using the CCR controllers with 6803 modules instead of strips

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
bright spark said:
The chip is unknown as they have wiped the chips clean.

Once you draw out the connections to the chip, you can compare against the known chips and figure out from there. I don't have a CCR to reverse engineer it though.

jeromej

Newbee, and learning the hard way!!!
Hi

I know this is an old discussionbut

I was just wondering if any knows what the outcome was.

Did Ray's strip work with the CCR controller???

Or has the type of chip they use in the CCR be figured out?

Cheers
Jerome j

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The CCR is a 6803 strip. Its been tested using a PIXAD8 and a E680 controller and also some of Rays strip has been tested using CCR controllers and they have worked.
The CCR may be a 5 bit 32 dimming step strip but the CCR controller sends out a signal 4 x the normal refresh rate of normal 6803 data rate, it does this to achieve a simulated bit rate of approx 7 bit thus allowing for the impression of more dimming steps. Instead of 32000 colours you can make 2 million colours using a 6803 strip with a CCR controller.
The 32 dimming steps are not a big issue unless you were going to use many long slow fades.
But with the solid silicone 6803 strip sold for approx $68 and a simple DMX 512 channel 6803 controller will run 3 x 5 metre strips (450 channels). Use a ECG-DR4 controller and then you can effectively run 12 x strips with 4 cheap 6803 controllers and 1 ECG-DR4 with 4 DMX outputs.

One word of caution, the strip i tested with did not turn out to be RGB using the CCR controller, instead it was GBR (i think) which isn't a real issue if your using software like LSP that allow you to change the RGB configuration. LORS2 software does not allow this.

jeromej

Newbee, and learning the hard way!!!
Thanks for clearing that up.

Getting there but still not 100%!

So if l purchase the EGC-DR4 and the led strip they will in effect give me the same effect as the CCR but for a 3rd of the price.
The question that l have is that the EGC-DR4 use E1.31. So if l have DC/AC lor boards that l want to run in the same display, can they be used and run off the same DMX 512 6803 contollers?

3 strip will use about 450 channels so l believe. So can the remaining channels be used to run the LOR boards?

If so how are the channels asigned?

I imagine from what l have learnt that the 3 strips would run end to end as they are coming form one controller, and that would assign the first 450 channels and the lor boards would then have to be a the end of the each 3 strip string.

The LOR board would be running in DMX. Which they can do
Just not sure if my think is correct for the 16 channel LOR boards and their address?

Is channel 1 of the LOR board channel 451 on the DMX controller and so on to 466 for all 16 channels?

Am l heading in the right direction???

Cheers ???

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
You'd need an ECG-PIXAD8 to feed the pixel strips. (An ECG-DR4 is E1.31 to standard DMX, not pixel)

You could use a DR4 with separate pixel controllers, but I'd probably go the PIXAD8 route.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
David_AVD said:
You'd need an ECG-PIXAD8 to feed the pixel strips. (An ECG-DR4 is E1.31 to standard DMX, not pixel)

You could use a DR4 with separate pixel controllers, but I'd probably go the PIXAD8 route.

In discussion with Jerome i had also mentioned the cheap $16 512 universe 6803 controller from Ray. I also did mention the ECG pixad8, but due to the fact that he also has some LOR controllers he wants to run in DMX then the DR4 is what he definetly needs, the options for pixel control then go down to either using DMX pixel controllers or E1.31 pixel controllers.