DC48 with Lor controllers

kwiksmart

New elf
I need help to get my new DC48 controller to work with my other controllers.
I think I have everything set up in the right order, this is what I have:
Laptop - RJ45 adaptor - cat5 cable - AC Lor controller - cat5 cable - another AC Lor controller - cat5 - then AVD APC745 LOR - ESTA DMX RJ45 and DC48.
The two AC controllers work fine I just can not get the DC48 to work with them.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
kwiksmart said:
I need help to get my new DC48 controller to work with my other controllers.
I think I have everything set up in the right order, this is what I have:
Laptop - RJ45 adaptor - cat5 cable - AC Lor controller - cat5 cable - another AC Lor controller - cat5 - then AVD APC745 LOR - ESTA DMX RJ45 and DC48.
The two AC controllers work fine I just can not get the DC48 to work with them.

Firstly i presume the first RJ45 adaptor you mention is your LOR dongle.

Have you Set up the start channel for the dc 48 yet. this would need to be done before the other 2 are
connected in.

Also have a read of this thread about getting LOR software to talk DMX
http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1494.0.html

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Firstly the DC48 will come as standard as having the start address as number 1.
Secondly how are you controlling/testing this setup. It will have to be something that is pumping out dmx. this can be LSP, Lights Up dmx test software, LOR advanced, Vixen or 1 of the other programs floating around.
Thirdly i have to assume that the usb-RJ45 adaptor is a LOR device based on how you've configured your network.
Once that info is in i'd first suggest dropping out the 2 LOR boards which are working and then work on getting the DC48 talking and then combine the lot again.

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
Have you configured the software (presuming LOR S3) to use your LOR dongle as an Open DMX (universe 1) device or is it running in standard LOR protocol mode?

If your channel outputs in LOR S3 display something like "LightORama Controller Unit 01 Circuit 01" then this is a standard LOR protocol output but if it is something like "DMX Universe Universe 1 Circuit 01" up to Circuit 512 then this is DMX protocol output from your sequence. DMX protocol (with that LORDMX-ESTADMX that you have) is required to have the DC48 operate connected lights. :)

To assign the LOR dongle to a DMX output, in the LOR S3 sequencer go to:
Code:
Edit -> Preferences -> Network Preferences
In DMX Universe 1 change the adapter from (none) to the LOR dongle (not sure what name displays here for the adapter - perhaps someone else can jump in who knows!)

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Hi Lisa,
Sounds like you have it hooked up correctly, but are still running in "LOR mode". As the others have said, you'll need to use the LOR software in DMX mode instead. See how you go with what they have said and we'll go from there. :)

kwiksmart

New elf
Steve - yes it is a LOR dongle and I don't have a start channel for the DC48.
AHH - LOR advance.
ryanschristmaslights - It must still be in standard LOR protocal mode. I havn't configured the software (LOR S3) to use LOR dongle as an open DMX device. Have no idea how to do this.
Yl - yes I have upgraded to advanced.
Eddie - In the presentation it says the LOR controller will auto detect a DMX signal and run in that mode. But don't you have to actually set it.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Lisa, the LOR controllers will automatically detect if its a LOR or DMX signal.

This can be an issue if the DMX or LOR data is not continual as it will have a slight pause when recieving the info as it has to work out which mode to run in, generally this shouldnt be an issue

kwiksmart

New elf
Have change everything as said in the new wiki. Changed comm port to none and in
DMX universe the adapter found is A600KDAG. Then close and open again. Now how do I check if it is working.
I don't have the AC lor boxes joined just the DC48.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Create a simple sequence and run it to see that the DMX LED on the DC 48 flashes. If it is, try hooking up some of your Big W lights to the DC48.