Jumping into pixels in 2013

jimcllc

Apprentice elf
I have been reading for the past 2 months on and off about DMX, RGB, E1.31, and all that good stuff. I have a basic idea of what I want to do. How to do it is what I am learning. I do not want to ask questions on every step, my goal is to learn, understand, and be self sufficient. Soon I hope to have a diagram of my display laying out what I want and where, how many pixels to be used, and the distances in which it will be located from the controller. My equipment I plan on using will be a dedicated PC, D4 bridge, and the PC12r. I plan on putting:
Four 4' white mini Christmas trees lit with 50 pixels each
pTRU1-12930587reg.jpg

One 7' 5050 strip going up my little mega tree
Two 8' belligio poles (light sticks/fire sticks) each with 8' 5050 light strips
When I get my diagram drawn up I hope it will make more sense

My question is this: as I progress is it ok to check my work here to make sure what I am doing will work before I go ahead and order it?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Thats all part of the function of the forum. Im sure you will get all the advice you need and pointed in the right direction if there is a better alternative to your plans.

dannyp

Full time elf

Benslights

Dedicated elf
Danny the difference is that the 2811 is wires (no clock) and the 2801 is 4 wires.
alot have used the 2811 this year with no issues i plan on using them both in 2013. this year i only had 2801's

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The 2811 is the new chip of choice, most of the manuals dont have it as the 2811 has been around for 6 or so months. I have used the 2811 extensively this year and is what my 12 strip tree is using. I find the ECG controllers work best with the 2811 as you can adjust the data speed for the signal which you may need to do depending on the distance you are running between controller and first pixel. The fact that a 2811 strip which is nearly identicle as a CCR (2811 has better dimming) and costs $32 for a 5 metre strip, then there is nothing out there that comes close to the value offered by the 2811 strip.

jimcllc

Apprentice elf
Awesome info eddy! Without knowing that I'm already planning on using those for 3 CCRs. Have you cut them without problems? I'll have to cut 2 in half.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
just a word of warning jim you may think you have the clap right now but when you get into pixel you really know you have the clap. you will love it. i know it is the best thining i have done wit hthe help and advice from eddy and the guys here in chat

Benslights

Dedicated elf
hi Danny those ones were not in 2801 until i asked ray if he could make them in 2801 as they were 6803. so if it was me i would just email him and ask him if he can make them in 2811.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
DannyP said:
Hi, I am looking to buy some inteligent modules. Eddy's 101 manual refers to the attached module from Ray Wu.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/WS2801IC-5050-3LEDS-DC12V-input-waterproof-20pcs-a-string/701799_526598440.html

Are there any better ones that are recommended as the 2811 chip seems to be the latest version, but I cnt seem to find a module with that chip in it?

cheers

Is it these modules that your looking for, i used these in my candy canes and at $12 for a string they are great value

dannyp

Full time elf
Thanks, I have ordered these now.

Do you think it a good idea to have a seperate section for currently suggested (as opposed to recommended) lights? I'm thinking that it will stop people like me pestering every one asking the same questions.

cheers

Dave H

Apprentice elf
Is it these modules that your looking for, i used these in my candy canes and at $12 for a string they are great value

I noticed on the spec sheet for this module a reference to "HIGHMODE", this is the first I have ever seen that reference.
Can someone explain this??

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Dave H said:
I noticed on the spec sheet for this module a reference to "HIGHMODE", this is the first I have ever seen that reference.
Can someone explain this??

The 2811 chips can be set to low or high speed data mode. As far as I know most of the pixel controllers that support 2811 should work with either type but you may have to fiddle with the settings.