Mounting RGB Strip

tuppetsdad

Funding & Tech Support
We bough a lot of RGB IP67 strip this year and have been looking at how to mount it. Know that many use conduit with cable ties but we want something quick to mount which protects the strip.

Tess and I have been looking for ages but last week we found a really nice clear plastic section ideal for the job. This is from Suntuf and is called endcap. It is UV protected and clear.

Length 3m
Width 30mm
Depth 10 mm
Cost $7 per length

you can see a pic here

End-Cap.gif

We just drilled 4mm holes each 500 mm or so and attached with 15 mm flat head screws to our facias under the spouting. Very easy to get nice and straight as you can see.

RGB-in-End-Cap.gif

The RGB strip we slipped in after first mounting the plastic strip. You need to push it in and the profile holds it very well without placing any significant force on the strip.

You can pull the RGB strip out any time. We are hopeful that the UV protection in the end cap will also help our RGB strips.

We think we will leave the endcap up all year and just slip in the strips in November. It will be super quick. Means we can also roll our RGB strips up for storage.

Only problem we have is finding enough end cap strips. We have bought out the stock in 3 Bunnings stores but only 6-8 strips in a store.

Still expect SmartAlec will know the cheapest place to buy in Australia by Monday night!!

Be interesting to see how they last.[/attach]

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
That is just beautiful looking stuff there, Sun protection was my mission as well this year.
I'm trying to get a few seasons of lights not going yellowish.
Big Effort, Great find.
Look forward to seeing how the lights hold up.

Mike

CLAP infected!
Now I know what you were talking about . Looks like a great solution. Will have a look next trip to Bunnings (forgot today)

tuppetsdad

Funding & Tech Support
Bunnings Sticker on the strip

C-ENDCAP CLEAR 3M

R5445-98209

Bar Code

tuppetsdad

Funding & Tech Support
And here it is running. You can see very nice to get around spouting too!

Installation just needs a screw each 600 mm or so.

We have ordered another 20 lengths of end cap from Bunnings "special order desk".....they better be here soon !

End-Cap-with-Strip.gif

it's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas....had a volunteer today to sit on our porch in a Santa Suit for the month...only going to cost u a few (several) bottles or booze..

tuppetsdad

Funding & Tech Support
So we have another 19 strips from Bunnings and just need some sun.....go away rain.

kool-lites

Full time elf
Tuppet and Tuppetsdad,
Spent some father and son quality time in Bunninigs the other night (Bunnings is one of his favourite shops)

Found the said end-cap. we found Clear and Smoked. There appeared to be a lot more smoked than clear.

This must be one of the BEST finds this year. Congrads and thanks for the ground work and then sharing the idea.

Mike

CLAP infected!
I picked some up yesterday. Going to try it on the matrix. Hopefully it works out
We found more smoked ones too. The ones I did get thought have some slight scratches on them too. Will see if they show up when the lights are on

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
kool-lites said:
This must be one of the BEST finds this year. Congrads and thanks for the ground work and then sharing the idea.
I was thinking the exact same thing! So glad I didn't buy all my conduit on the weekend. I'll be getting this stuff now :D

tuppetsdad

Funding & Tech Support
Well Tuppet has completed her tour of Bunnings stores in the state and we now have a complete set of 35 strips. All Bunnings stores within a 10Km radius are now out of stock!

Now cousin Tuppet (our welding section of the family) is making progress on a large 3D star frame for the turret on our house. So we have tested attaching these clear strips to our roof ridge tiles with glue gun and seems to also work well. The glue stays with the strip and not the tiles when you pull it off. Just got to go climb our turret....

TimW

Full time elf
Well Tuppet has completed her tour of Bunnings stores in the state and we now have a complete set of 35 strips. All Bunnings stores within a 10Km radius are now out of stock!
Yeah.. thanks for that Tuppets! :rolleyes:

Now cousin Tuppet (our welding section of the family) is making progress on a large 3D star frame for the turret on our house. So we have tested attaching these clear strips to our roof ridge tiles with glue gun and seems to also work well. The glue stays with the strip and not the tiles when you pull it off. Just got to go climb our turret....
Interesting... That would be soooo much better than drilling plugs into the tiles (which was my plan for the weekend) So what type of glue? standard hot melt? You continue to break new ground... (please just make sure you don't break any new ground from the top of the turret!)