Mounting rgb strips around window frame outline

burner

Full time elf
Has anyone got some suggestions on the best way to mount the rgb strips around the window frame outline. Mine are around 2.5m wide and 2m high. So far I'm thinking of just framing pine hammered in as a snug fit on the external window recess, then using the roof sheet capping that tuppetsdad posted from bunnings attached to the pine, then slide the strips in. The vertical parts will need to be cable tied in, so they don't slide out.

While I'm asking too, I have 6 coro candy canes that I want to mount against the brick work of both garage pillars and my balcony pillars. Any idea's on mounting these as hard up to the brickwork as possible, so that the wind doesn't get behind them?

anon

Apprentice elf
I'm using the end cap for everything where strip needs to be mounted in straight lines, it's cheap and fits like a glove.

Portions of adhesive backed weather stripping provide a soft clamp to stop the strip from moving.

Rare earth magnets are araldited to the end cap, slightly bigger magnets for those to attached directly fascias and gutters, and perhaps more for your application, I have used construction adhesive to attach magnets under the lips of steps (out of site), which the magnets on the strips then attach to. To do the outline of my garage and patio I'm using 'brick clips' that clamp in between the bricks. The magnets then attach to the clips.

It is all strong enough to hold everything in place and a breeze to put up.

Brick clips:
700002A_m.jpg

The are cheaper than when I bought mine originally, but still expensive for what they are. I'm sure some tin snips and bending of corrugated iron would provide a similar result.

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
I've bought endcap as well. I don't have all my strip yet, just one reel to demo, although the strip didn't have a totally snug fit to use vertically (on sides of windows)

Perhaps I'll have to walk up one day to see what you've done ;) , or maybe you have some photos?

I have measured what lengths of endcap I'll need out of the 3M sections but not completely made up on how I'll fix them to the bricks yet. Unfortunately for me, the way the brick mortar was applied to this house leaves fixing things difficult.

Do tell of your success, anon 8)

Attachments

• xmas12-housebricks.jpg
    xmas12-housebricks.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 138

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Window frames I attached strip to 25mm conduit with cableties and bent them around the corners (rounded corners) carefully. I will be sticking cable-tie mounts to the aluminium joinery (3M backing) and cable tieing the conduit.

My coro-candles I am sticking to our brickwork (like Ryans) with 2 strips of 50mm sticky velcro.

burner

Full time elf
Unfortunately for me, my front brickwork, is a sandy pastelcoat bagging finish, so nothing will stick to it.

With regard to the conduit in the window recess, is that just cut up as a snug fit or are using some adhesive or silicon, to keep it from popping out?

I've never seen the brick clips before in use, anyone got a picture of how they work? They almost look like something that has to be installed while the house is being built?

burner

Full time elf
In that case, they won't help, mine is all flush joins in my brickwork.

Any other suggestions, or am I stuck with the green spaghetti, some eye screws and cable ties?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I make up a frame from 25mm electrical conduit and then i hold the frame by using some steel wire to hook into the window frame to hold the frame in place. Has worked great as a temporary window frame holder and has withstood some extreme winds. I attach on all 4 corners and I add a mounting wire to the middle of the top of the frame to stop any signs of sag in the conduit frame.

burner

Full time elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
I make up a frame from 25mm electrical conduit and then i hold the frame by using some steel wire to hook into the window frame to hold the frame in place. Has worked great as a temporary window frame holder and has withstood some extreme winds. I attach on all 4 corners and I add a mounting wire to the middle of the top of the frame to stop any signs of sag in the conduit frame.

What does the steel wire attach to on the window frame? I have a steel lintel on the top and brickwork all round the other 3 sides. My windows are alluminium.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I attach to the drain holes in the bottom of the window frame where available , I also attach the wire into the corners of the window frame where the frame sits into the bricks and has a little rubber flap, i just lift that up and hook into there. Your window construction may differ from mine and this may be more difficult for you to do than it was for me.

Jamie

Lighting up the night.
Hi Tuppetsdad,

Could you post a pic please of the clear edge strip and the lights inserted please. was at our local bunnings today and couldnt quite find what i was looking for.

thanks

Jamie

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
anon said:
Portions of adhesive backed weather stripping provide a soft clamp to stop the strip from moving.
What a good idea! Last year I put a few drops of hotclue on mine.

anon said:
Rare earth magnets
I am using heatshrink to hold mine on - looses a little strength but the heatshrink prevents possible rust marks from metal on metal.