Moving Head Spotlights

bdt

Apprentice elf
Looking to include RGB moving head spotlights in next year’s display. Any recommendation on which light or wattage to use?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I guess you're talking about LED based spot lights?

Keep in mind that you won't see the beam unless there is some particulate (rain, smoke, etc) in the air.

Full outdoor rated units are going to be very expensive (many thousands of dollars each) so you'll have to come up with a way to enclose them. Now that you've enclosed them, you'll need to ventilate those enclosures!

I guess you could make your own using an LED head with two stepper motor controlled axis. You'll still need to keep the motors and electronics dry and clean though.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
I have two of these http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/LED-Gobo-Moving-Head-Light-P-N-SL-837/701799_301771421.html that I bought as part of my DJ setup a couple of years ago which I no longer use, but just managed to test them and could control them with a D2 via Vixen. Whilst sequencing will be tedious as Vixen is built for Christmas lights not "professional" DJ lighting, my concern would be how to have these outside weatherproofed yet able to move freely and project light, plus be secure enough not to be stolen from the yard.

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
dj, think of the tv show 'the dome', thats what they use, a big glass or plastic dome over the whole light, then they use 2 fans, 1 for intake an 1 for exhale, otherwise they heat up too much or fog up the dome its in

this is going by video's of people that have done this before, not from my experance

bdt

Apprentice elf
Thx for the comments. Michael nice video, that is what I was thinking of but only 1 or 2 lights statically placed in my display. That is a good idea to put them on the roof, less chance of being stolen.

I browsed the link Fasteddy provided, if those are 1200w spots, he’s setup is expensive$$$$. Unfortunately my budget is a little more modest. I wonder if 150w are less would be sufficient or a waste of time. On the other hand I don’t want to be too bright, a couple of my neighbors haven’t learned to appreciate CLAP yet. One of my neighbors even put up no parking signs in front of his house. The good news is his boy is very interested in my lights so I believe his dad will loosen up a little.

I can see the domes, and I can imagine fans would be a must. Lot to consider especially since we can get up to a foot of snow during Dec.

I’ll order a 50w’er to play with.

Thx again!

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
I think any kind of stage lighting will need to be Waterproofed and expensive to run.

I do think it would be cool to have some lasers though.
Not sure of having floods as it would take a lot of wattage and other things to consider as Alan mentioned above.

You would definitely need to consider any air traffic that may be in the air space above your house, so you may want to consider checking any Ordinances or restrictions as well.

-Blu

mborg10

Michael Borg
That Star Wars guy was in the show "christmas light fight" he was actually a musician. He claimed the spotlights would go 8 miles into the air, but that might be a bit of a porky pie. In the show you shows an up close look at the enclosure and mounts on the roof. If forget which episode but there are only 4 for 2014. They should be in youtube

harrisonk

Dedicated elf
ELA-WP-02-Elation_WP-02.jpg

This is similar to what he is using. We use all different types when running Outdoor Events.
These ones are air filled which not too sure how they would go outside for a month in Australia.

C61195.jpg

Clay Paky make a Solid Poly Carb Version But the price tag for each is 6 times higher than the Air filled ones.

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
I too have been very inspired by that display. I have been thinking about the viability of mounting a 6V Dolphin torch on a mechanical base. Shine one of those up in the air they throw a decent beam! (that probably won't take down aircraft either)

Christmas @ the Myrtle (Michael) said:
That Star Wars guy was in the show "christmas light fight" he was actually a musician. He claimed the spotlights would go 8 miles into the air, but that might be a bit of a porky pie. In the show you shows an up close look at the enclosure and mounts on the roof. If forget which episode but there are only 4 for 2014. They should be in youtube

Made me wonder if their was some sort of lighting hire arrangement with the TV production?

Either way - don't get me wrong his show is one of the best I have ever seen!

EmmienLightFan

One of few displays in the UK
American DJ Inno Pocket Spot.
You will need a smoke machine on the roof as well, and a way to waterproof and power everything.