Moving Head Spotlights

warsome

Wires? who needs wires!
Harrison Kohn said:
ELA-WP-02-Elation_WP-02.jpg

This is similar to what he is using. We use all different types when running Outdoor Events.
These ones are air filled which not too sure how they would go outside for a month in Australia.

Where do you get these from? I'm after something like this or similar.

Klanook

New elf
Hi Guys,
I had a 5 moving lights in my display this year. I contacted a local plastics fabricator to get some domes made. I then made some waterproof enclosures for the lights using the domes.

Please be aware, the lights that are used in the star wars video which are ClayPaky Sharpies (or clones of them), are not necessarily legal to use in that fashion in Australia, due air space restrictions.
I contacted my CASSA and then Air Services Australia who put me in touch with POLAIR Queensland to make sure that my display wasn't going to cause any issues with flight paths.

One of the previous reply was correct, smoke/haze is not optional with these lights unless your using Sharpies. I used a commercial grade smoke machine as part of my display to allow the beams to be visible.
For the record my lights are the 7x12 watt RBGW style moving heads.

Also be aware that the lower cost lights are more likely to have issues with the stepper motors trying to move faster then they are able to and stalling, which mean you need to either power cycle the light or send a reset command from your show control software.

EDIT:
I also took the lights down each night after the show to prevent condensation from getting into them.

darylc

404 darylc not found
Klanook said:
For the record my lights are the 7x12 watt RBGW style moving heads.

Which lights did you use out of interest?

keithsw1111

Senior elf
Of course the Pi can run them. So can Vixen, xLights, HLS ... it all comes down to how hard it is to sequence them in your sequencer of choice. Once it gets to FPP it has no idea what it is talking to.

plasmadrive

Full time elf
BradsXmasLights said:
I too have been very inspired by that display. I have been thinking about the viability of mounting a 6V Dolphin torch on a mechanical base. Shine one of those up in the air they throw a decent beam! (that probably won't take down aircraft either)

Christmas @ the Myrtle (Michael) said:
That Star Wars guy was in the show "christmas light fight" he was actually a musician. He claimed the spotlights would go 8 miles into the air, but that might be a bit of a porky pie. In the show you shows an up close look at the enclosure and mounts on the roof. If forget which episode but there are only 4 for 2014. They should be in youtube

Made me wonder if their was some sort of lighting hire arrangement with the TV production?

Either way - don't get me wrong his show is one of the best I have ever seen!
His name is Tom Betgeorge. Those are his lights, and he programmed them. Everything you saw on the show and on his Youtube pages are his work and the shows are as everyone sees them in real life. No flash in the pan for the camera with Tom, unlike a lot of others on the show.

Same for my display, I didn't do anything for the show that you didn't see every night I ran it.

Christmas on Clarafield

Full time elf
Did anyone add any moving head lights to their shows this year? I'd love to see any videos with them in.

I have been considering them myself but waiting to get enough funds together to do it.

I've had trouble tying to find the weatherproof domes and the ones I have found seem very expensive ($200+) even for the cheap Chinese versions.

For those that are using them, how do you connect them? Did you make an RJ45 to XLR or just wire them direct to a dmx control board?

it was on my want list this year... but i just ran out of time...

i did get quotes from a local plastics manufacturer to make the domes, got a quote for $115 for three of them. They you have to work out how to make a base that will allow for heat dissipation.

keen to do it next year though... or lasers ;)

DJJAX99

New elf
Did anyone add any moving head lights to their shows this year? I'd love to see any videos with them in.

I have been considering them myself but waiting to get enough funds together to do it.

I've had trouble tying to find the weatherproof domes and the ones I have found seem very expensive ($200+) even for the cheap Chinese versions.

For those that are using them, how do you connect them? Did you make an RJ45 to XLR or just wire them direct to a dmx control board?

I haven't done that yet but I am thinking of. Also keep in mind that you need to use DMX cables instead of XLR. They look the same but are completely different. XLR is for audio and DMX is for lighting so make sure you use DMX.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
I haven't done that yet but I am thinking of. Also keep in mind that you need to use DMX cables instead of XLR. They look the same but are completely different. XLR is for audio and DMX is for lighting so make sure you use DMX.
This is true and recommended. However if only a short run (5m) and only a couple of fixtures/lights, XLR/mic cable will work. This is what I use.
Also recommended to have a terminator plug at the end of the last fixture.