My First Project

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
MarcD said:
I think we've decided to buy LightShow Pro Intro version which is currently $49 US. We think this may be enough for now based on the feature list on the website. I'm happy to hear from anyone who thinks it would be worth spending the extra to get the Basic version for $99 US.

I must say i actually didnt realize that they slipped in a lower tier version of LSP, it supports only minleon and DMX controllers with a few less features which i dont think you would benifit from anyway, but I think DMX is what you are using. I think the intro version is perfect for your needs, this will allow you to get use to LSP with the option to upgrade later if you choose to go down the RGB pixel lighting path.

MarcD

Full time elf
I sent a link to my wife who said that she had seen the same thing elsewhere. I had no idea she had even looked. I'm guessing she didn't tell me because she knew I'd want it. She's on the hunt for it now and I'll let you know if she finds it.

AAH said:
Good luck getting a reply from the door decor mob. I've sent 3 emails to them (to 2 separate email addresses) and had 2 go unanswered and the 3rd got bounced due to the email address no longer being in use. The minister for finance has told me that she approves of us getting some of these but I can't get hold of the supplier :(

MarcD

Full time elf
Would you believe that I just got a reply? Under two hours too. Shipping to Australia is $92 US. He also said they pack them differently for overseas shipping.

ShellNZ said:
Ooo yes, Ive only just emailed them as well, good to know they dont reply so I dont keep checking my emails, lol. I was asking about shipping to NZ.

Found some - http://www.ebay.com/sch/creativeimpactgraphics/m.html?item=250515272066&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Found another company - http://www.creativeamericans.com/garage-door-decor/garage-door-mural

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
ShellNZ said:
Holy crap, I want it wrapped in gold leafing for US$100 lol

Shipping seems reasonable compared to the weight of the product as it would be quiet heavy to ship

MarcD

Full time elf
I didn't think that was too bad. Remember that those things would be really heavy as well as bulky. It's not just the printed mural but all the fixins' as well.

ShellNZ said:
Holy crap, I want it wrapped in gold leafing for US$100 lol

ShellNZ

Senior elf
I just got a reply too :)

"The shipping would be $89.00.

Normally I roll these in a long box but due to shipping size requirements to New Zealand your Garage Door Decor would be folded into a box.

Therefore when you recieve your Garage Door Decor there may be a few creases in the Garage Door Decor.
These creases normally relax out after the Garage Door Decor hangs on the garage door for a couple of days.

If you would like to place the order. Please respond to this email and I will email you a Paypal invoice with the shipping on it.

Thank You.

Creative Impact Graphics
Tim Mann
42315 Kingsmill Circle
Elizabeth, CO 80107

Phone: 303-929-7646

Email:creativeimpactgraphics@msn.com

Also received a reply from Creative Americans

"$90 US dollars should cover one 2car decoration. Price depends on decoration size as we offer 4 standard 2car sizes."

MarcD

Full time elf
I just sent an e-mail back to him asking if he had a PDF version of the installation instructions he could e-mail me. The website says that it works with all types of roller doors and doesn't attach to either the door or the frame. Left me a bit confused as to how it actually works.

Group Buy anyone?

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I think that I read somewhere on 1 of his sites that basically they clip under the lower surface and to the upper surface of tilting doors. I haven't seen any pictures of the mounting arrangements but I imagine that it is some sort of hook arrangement that is either fitted to the vinyl or goes into eyelets.

I'm buying 1 of these ASAP now that contact has been made. While I'm typing up my request for a quote I'll ask the question about getting more shipped over at the same time.

MarcD

Full time elf
That was kind of the impression I got too but my door is a tilt panel (like most are) and when it opens, it expands at the joins. Not very much, but if the material wasn't stretchy, I'd be worried it would tear. I'm sure the instructions will make it clearer.

AAH said:
I think that I read somewhere on 1 of his sites that basically they clip under the lower surface and to the upper surface of tilting doors. I haven't seen any pictures of the mounting arrangements but I imagine that it is some sort of hook arrangement that is either fitted to the vinyl or goes into eyelets.

I'm buying 1 of these ASAP now that contact has been made. While I'm typing up my request for a quote I'll ask the question about getting more shipped over at the same time.

MarcD

Full time elf
Tim from Creative Impact Graphics e-mailed me the installation instructions for the garage door murals in case anyone is interested.

Attachments

• Door Decor Install Inst 2009.pdf
    432.6 KB · Views: 18

Garagedoordecor

New elf
Hello Everyone,
This is Tim Mann of Creative Impact Graphics. I am the guy that invented, designs and manufactures the Garage Door Decors.
I have been emailing a couple of you this week with some info about the Garage Door Decors. In the emails I had seen reference to the Aus Christmas Lighting site. This is an awesome site. I am sorry it has been difficult to get a hold of me so far this year. I manufacture the Garage Door Decors only a few months each year. I also have a day job that keeps me pretty busy. I am all ready to go now for a another Holiday season. Everything is in place and ready to go. It will be easier to get a hold of me now. Please contact me with any questions you may have. I am enjoying what I have seen so far on this site. Thank You and I look forward to hearing for you.

MarcD

Full time elf
I tried to buy the Intro version of LightShow Pro today and couldn't. There seems to be a fault on their website. When you click the buy now button, it switches to PayPal but doesn't add the product. The same goes for the Basic version. The two top tier version work properly so it must be a fault in the script on the buttons. I've sent them an e-mail.

In the meantime, I downloaded and installed the trial version. What a PITA to install. .NET framework, Codecs, Dialogs popping up left right and centre. Are you sure this is the best piece of software on the market, because frankly it looks dodgy to me.

kane

Dedicated elf
MarcD said:
I tried to buy the Intro version of LightShow Pro today and couldn't. There seems to be a fault on their website. When you click the buy now button, it switches to PayPal but doesn't add the product. The same goes for the Basic version. The two top tier version work properly so it must be a fault in the script on the buttons. I've sent them an e-mail.

In the meantime, I downloaded and installed the trial version. What a PITA to install. .NET framework, Codecs, Dialogs popping up left right and centre. Are you sure this is the best piece of software on the market, because frankly it looks dodgy to me.
Yep, that's the unfortunate thing - it's definately the best available (apart from looking at Light Factory Pro or Madrix, but they're not really designed for these sorts of shows).. But jees it has a lot of things that could be done a huge amount better..

Starting out doing my sequences for this year, I'm starting to realise how much work can be done to improve this software - the problem is, David has gone down the path of adding new features (which sells more copies), instead of fixing problems that exist in the system.

As an example (which REALLY bugs me!) the controller setup is stored against each sequence. When you create a new sequence, you can copy in the controllers from the first sequence, no problems. So you then end up with 5 sequences, each with a a copy of the controller setup. So what happens when you want to add a new controller - you have to add that controller manually to each of the sequences (including drawing it in the visualiser etc)..

The above isn't a huge problem when you're making minor tweaks to your display for the one season. But once you get to the next year, and decide to add 10-12 different elements to your display, having to do this across all your sequences becomes a nightmare...

Another thing that is frustrating - it's always been said that LSP is open for plugins and extensions - which I was always happy about, as I could look at writing plugins to do things that I want to do... But there are no examples, documentation or anything, so it is impossible to actually get started. Given a fair amount of us christmas light nutters are also computer nerds, surely spending some time on this area would mean that others would add functionality that would strengthen the userbase.. (as it is currently, I've put together a hack to edit the xml in the sequence files myself, but that's another topic!)

Anyway, enough ranting.. I'm just hoping that now that David's shacked up with Minleon that there might be the addition of another resource or two, so that some substantial effort can be put on improving the software..

Otherwise, might be looking at Vixen next year if that gets moving as it looks like it will..