New Central Command.

cdjazman

Full time elf
David_AVD said:
Australian version on the colors

OK, I'm not aware of any Australia standard using black and white for active and neutral.

I went by the attached link.

Charl Marais said:
Prof, you are indeed correct.

Black is live or active or phase.
White is neutral.
Green is earth or ground.

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/reference/chpt-2/wiring-color-codes-infographic/

Regards and be safe.

It is for fixed cable behind wall but.............and the flexible cable (extension cord) has green-earth, black-neutral which leave white........

Charl Marais

For my twins was the excuse I started with.
Ish, my suggestion - stick to the colors you know and avoid confusion and possible injury or damage.

In south africa we also use green/yellow, blue and brown and I just changed everything to that standard.

Much safer and keeps my DC and AC lines separate so I dont accidentally mix things up.

Now if only I can keep 5V and 12V separate but that is a total different and expensive story.

:( :(

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I think this thread needs a little warning about non qualified people working on mains voltage :eek: ::)

Electrical work on mains voltage done by non qualified electricians is an offense in Australia and if something was to happen then you will be liable and doubt any insurance claims would be paid.

So please be careful if you decide to work on any mains systems which includes simple tasks like adding a power cord to a power supply because effectively you are breaking the law. I think the US is a bit more relaxed on this as their voltage is 110volt compared to 240v which dramatically increases the chance of fatality if you get a shock

If you do choose to do your own work make sure it complies with regulations and also ensure you have this connected to an RCD protected circuit and preferably have an electrician take a look to ensure its safe and complies

Remember you cant see, smell or hear electricity, but you sure can feel it

cdjazman

Full time elf
Fasteddy said:
I think this thread needs a little warning about non qualified people working on mains voltage :eek: ::)

Electrical work on mains voltage done by non qualified electricians is an offense in Australia and if something was to happen then you will be liable and doubt any insurance claims would be paid.

So please be careful if you decide to work on any mains systems which includes simple tasks like adding a power cord to a power supply because effectively you are breaking the law. I think the US is a bit more relaxed on this as their voltage is 110volt compared to 240v which dramatically increases the chance of fatality if you get a shock

If you do choose to do your own work make sure it complies with regulations and also ensure you have this connected to an RCD protected circuit and preferably have an electrician take a look to ensure its safe and complies

Remember you cant see, smell or hear electricity, but you sure can feel it

Great points Ed. I would also just like to point out that I am putting the board together and have a qualified commercial electrician doing any main work. He will also run his eye over the board to make sure I have got that correct as well.

I enjoy the fact that I wake up every morning and seeing my wife next to me and am not ready to check out just yet.

:) :) :) :) :) :)

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
Yes totally agree with eddy . For safety reasons needs to be wired to Australian standards ! Although you may understand your wiring configuration cd man others may not and for some unknowingly person may work on your panel for whatever reason and could cause fire injury or even death ! Plus also I think in the long run you will end up confusing yourself I feel is always a good practice to stick with Australian standard wire colors even for low voltage wiil definetly make things simpler and easier for fault finding etc plus less chance of blowing stuff up . Thats great you have an electrician to help and I hope he agrees also I reckon he should . But yes if uncertainty with 240v don't touch always ask for help from qualified person . Good luck mate and great your asking advice

cdjazman

Full time elf
the grinch said:
Yes totally agree with eddy . For safety reasons needs to be wired to Australian standards ! Although you may understand your wiring configuration cd man others may not and for some unknowingly person may work on your panel for whatever reason and could cause fire injury or even death ! Plus also I think in the long run you will end up confusing yourself I feel is always a good practice to stick with Australian standard wire colors even for low voltage wiil definetly make things simpler and easier for fault finding etc plus less chance of blowing stuff up . Thats great you have an electrician to help and I hope he agrees also I reckon he should . But yes if uncertainty with 240v don't touch always ask for help from qualified person . Good luck mate and great your asking advice

All good points and noted. Thanks for the input guys. :) :) :) :)

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
No worries cd man as said is awesomeness that you're asking and listening . I tottally understand using what we have available or cheaper as this frigging disease my wife has is expensive and im one of the worst offenders to do cheap recycle , make do , . but for me personally when it comes to wiring i like to do properly will save you in longterm even if you have too spend the few xtra bucks to have right color wires and guage even for low voltage can save you many hours of disappointment . So as can easily faultfind and also have a reassurance not to incorrectly wire a critical component to your display wich can be really expensive and cause embarrassment when the little kid across the road comments on why your lights arent working lol. But yes as said well done mate

scamper

Dedicated elf
I agree with Grinch, start the right way and it will save headaches later.
I have now got a colour system that I know and makes sense to me and I use it across the display in all my data and low voltage wiring.
However, the first year i confused myself a couple of times and didn't fix it properly, I just modified a lead to match the mistake.
Now every year when I put the display up I spend ages trying to figure out what I did wrong only to find I used the special crossover cable or I didn't wire the star topper reverse.....
Not next year though... I cut the end off the "special cable"

Roosta

Full time elf
Hey bud, looking good.. just to chip in my 2 cents..

The right cable you should be using at a minimum should be 1.5mm2 Twin and Earth , but better to use 2.5mm2, but its a bit trickier to work with.. Trade pricing on them is 60c/$1 per m, and bunings sells it for $1.20/$1.50 per m, and should be something your sparky mate has heaps of scrap of.. You wont need be needing much, few metres max..

https://www.bunnings.com.au/cable-elect-twin-earth-flt-p-m-2-5mm-cncp07aa002wvaa_p4430080

Also keep in mind that the current ratings of 1.5mm twin and earth is 19.5amp max, and 2.5mm is 27amps, so make sure your circuit breaker (or ideally RCBO safety switch and circuit breaker) is rated appropriately for the cable you choose to use..

Cheers,
Nik

videoman3857

Full time elf
I've just stumbled on this thread and I don't know if you have changed your wiring, but I would strongly recommend that you refrain from using the same colour coding for your AC supply and DC supply. Using the same coloured cables creates a huge potential for incorrect wiring resulting in equipment damage and the possibility of electrocution and possible death.
If you are using a plug in lead to feed the 240 volt side use: Brown -active, Blue -neutral and Yellow/Green = Earth.

If it is hard wired use the standard 240 volt single phase colour coding: Red = Active (load), Black=Neutral and Green/yellow = Earth.
If using single insulated cable, personally I would use the slotted electrical conduit * to run each separate voltage set ie 240 volt, 12 volt 5 volt.
Alternatively you could use plain electrical conduit * and cut slots to suit, but I find the other easier to use.
You can of course use double insulated cable. eg. twin core + earth cable in a round outer sheath (similar to extension lead cable. Many of these cables are available from any reputable electrical wholesaler.

Personally I find the single insulated cable more manageable and the slotted electrical conduit easier to work with.

*The link is as an example only and not necessarily the size you would use

cdjazman

Full time elf
So got last two power supplies and have them now installed.
97fc33691b8fac72b470847a95966d75.jpg

f19c005a716b9e4a969f5c7e5e05624e.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

cdjazman

Full time elf
Fasteddy said:
Now do you have sound dampening with all those fans running ;) :D

Going to live in the garage so am hoping not too loud..........

:) :) :D