This simple test was wired as:
- 4 panels chained off Output #1
- 2 "missing" panels on Output #8 - that don't physically exist

BBB Panel config:
3x2 arrangement without outputs as

Outputs:
O8/P2 O1/P4 O8/P1
O1/P3 O1/P2 O1/P1

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]As far as BBB/FPP is concerned, it see's as it as 6 panels still. We just trick it by sending the non-existent panels to unused port on the octoscroller.[/font]

Then configure the sequencer as a 96x32 pixel grid (as it all 6 panels were there), then design your matrix content accordingly to miss the 'missing' panels!

Effectively there'll be quite a few channels going to waste for the missing panels within the sequencing software - but at the end of the day it doesn't matter once the sequence is saved to the BBB & MultiSync'd to a master FPP.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Excellent Brad. The use of non-rectangular areas can get away from the "oh, he has a big TV screen outside" look.

CaptainMurdoch

Apprentice elf
This is definitely a supported config, I demoed this functionality at the Expo last summer. You don't even need to define the 'missing' panels, just leave them as output 1 panel 1 and that is Ok.

The backend code also allows some more creative configurations. For instance you could have 2 panels on the top row with only a 16x16 empty area at each corner. Or you could have 3 rows with 3 panels on the bottom, 2 panels in the middle, and 1 panel on top to make a taller triangle shape. This type of offset config is supported in the config file and backend code but the UI isn't flexible enough to let you do it through the UI.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
This looks great Brad, nice work!
How are you going to weatherproof this design up on the roof?

CaptainMurdoch

Apprentice elf
BradsXmasLights said:
Which config file is this CaptainMurdoch?

/home/fpp/media/config/channel outputs.json

You can edit the X and y offsets of any configured panel and even have overlapping panels. You can also change the panel orientations. I will be running a mixed config this year with some panels vertical and some horizontal to fit the space I want to use.