P10 Panel - What is it and how to connect it?

Gilrock

Full time elf
By the way I put a meter on my panel last night. At full on white it was only drawing 2.4amps at ~119v. So with 20 panels I'm maxing at about 288 watts so I really didn't need 2 power supplies.

Boof63

Senior elf
If playing video on a P10 what ratio should we be looking for ,16:9 , 16:10, 5:4
Just wondering as to how big I need it to do a good job ( I know distance from view etc = 8 to 20mts)
But wondering on ration for a good picture
Cheers Boof63
PS exactly how wide is the actual panel 10mm, 15mm?

Gilrock

Full time elf
Each pixel has 10mm spacing hence the name "P10". So my panel is 1280mm x 800mm. The ratio depends on what type of videos you plan to play. There are standard 4:3 videos and 16:9 widescreen videos as the most common. For the video I showed of Frozen the ffmpeg tool sized it to hit the sides but left some black at the top and bottom. I'm probably going to start using video editor software to prepare what I want for the video before breaking it into frames.

Gilrock

Full time elf
For the P10 panels in my opinion they start to look good at 30 to 40 feet when the pixels start blending together to your eye.

Boof63

Senior elf
Thanks gilrock, I understand pixel spacing is 10mm to each pixel, question i have is
what is the width of the physical p10 panel, ie L x H x W = 320 x 16 x ??
trying to work out what frame structure to build (double glaze window track?? etc)
so if someone can tell me most appreciative (cant find it on the net anywhere).
cheers Boof63
PS if anyone using HLS -Rons Holiday lights has a controller (choice of 2) for HLS to run the panels
http://www.diychristmas.org/vb1/showthread.php?3948-Sixty-Four-Universe-Controller&p=44578#post44578

Gilrock

Full time elf
Boof63 said:
Thanks gilrock, I understand pixel spacing is 10mm to each pixel, question i have is
what is the width of the physical p10 panel, ie L x H x W = 320 x 16 x ??
trying to work out what frame structure to build (double glaze window track?? etc)
so if someone can tell me most appreciative (cant find it on the net anywhere).
cheers Boof63
PS if anyone using HLS -Rons Holiday lights has a controller (choice of 2) for HLS to run the panels
http://www.diychristmas.org/vb1/showthread.php?3948-Sixty-Four-Universe-Controller&p=44578#post44578

Sorry I thought I'd given enough info if you looked at my earlier post: "Mine is 4x5 panels which will give 128x80 pixels. It's 1280mm x 800mm." as well as in that same post I provided a link to a drawing that has the dimensions for the hole patterns.

Boof63

Senior elf
Your info was spot on Gilrock, I was also chasing the actual panel width/depth as David_AVD posted , so thaks to both of you.
My Next question is for all the innovators who have these:-
1 how or what have you used to frame these up with? ,
2 have made them waterproof - if so how please?
Cheers and thanks
Boof63

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
There's a thread or 2 on the 3d printing section of the forum about mounts for the P10. Phil and Brad both made different versions I believe and 1 of the guys was laser cutting mounts out of perspex. As far as waterproofing you could either get the waterproof ones which are more than twice the cost and don't look as good as they are made up of discrete red, green and blue 5mm leds or else you need to cover it with something like clear vinyl which can be had pretty cheaply from bunnings with potentially something like lycra or calico from spotlight to act as a diffuser. Based on what I've seen 2 layers of calico produces very nice results.

Gilrock

Full time elf
I think the P10 matrix I borrowed at the Expo had a frame with 1/8" plexiglass covering the P10's. I think the frame was made with those fake plastic decking boards.

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.