RGB Floods

Phil H

New elf
Just looking for a recommendation about rgb floods. All of my display is currently 5v WS2801 running off 3 separate ECGP12s. I realise I can run a DMX out from the P12s but I'd prefer E1.31 as that's how the rest of my display works. As far as I can tell Ray Wu only sells dmx floods. I've also looked at the LOR 10w floods. Can these be controlled directly from a P12s ignoring power which I'll run separately? I realise my aversion to dmx might be irrational. If the consensus is dmx from the P12s is a cinch then I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and try to teach this old dog some new tricks.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
The 10W LOR floods are neither pixel or DMX. They are basic "dumb" RGB for use with a DC controller. Their 50W flood is DMX or LOR protocol.

There's nothing too hard about using the 10W Ray Wu DMX floods. The main thing to remember is that the DMX address is not able to be changed unless you have the appropriate programming tool. If you're buying at least a few floods the cost of the tool is not all that significant.

Phil H

New elf
Thanks David, Can you point me to a link for the tool. I'm thinking around 10 separate floods so being able to deal with addressing will make it easier to incorporate and gives me the flexibility to expand.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
The tool is somewhat dependent on the floods you buy. They seem to change to suit the control boards inside the floods.

So you need to order the floods and the tool from the same supplier (and ask them if it's the right one) at the same time.

Phrog30

New elf
Check out these.
https://www.tindie.com/products/RobG/10w-rgb-flood-light-pixel-kit-ws2811/

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

JonB256

Full time elf
When you order the 10W RGB DMX floods from Ray, you can specify at the time what DMX start address you want for each flood. That's good if you don't change them in your programming.

Also, they come with the 3-pin, round DMX plug. I ended up replacing them by soldering on some RJ45 jacks. The round plugs come as one Female and one Male but they are electrically identical, so adding two female RJ45 jacks isn't a big deal.

B_P_J

Full time elf
Hey Phil,

I too am looking at floods (moving heads) for next year, I bought 2 of the DMX spots from Kmart for $12 just to test and see how it all works, maybe you should have a look at them for now, they are RGB (individual 3 channels) they connect straight onto the P12S (using a DMX cable I made {3 PIN XLR from Jaycar - NOT CHEAP - $5.00 a piece and I needed 3, will be looking on ebay...}) and are addressed at the spotlight so connecting one to the other is easy,
I am really impressed with these ones and have a feeling I will be looking at more DMX options now, lol...
I will try and upload a quick video of them in action, I had them setup & programmed in about 20-30mins,
Any questions I am happy to answer...

B_P_J

Full time elf
bpj1980 said:
I will try and upload a quick video of them in action, I had them setup & programmed in about 20-30mins,

Ok here is a quick video from the other night.. I have been trying different angles to see what looks good,

https://youtu.be/f3Ubrp7HFA4

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
heathwithnoteeth said:
kmart and dmx is not something i thought i would ever hear
Was thinking the same thing!!... #worksatkmart

B_P_J

Full time elf
They don't say anything about being DMX but when I saw it and noticed the plugs I was like WTF??? so I had to buy 2 and see, for someone who has never played with the DMX side (well I did do dumb RGB my first year just not the DMX cabling, etc) I was pretty happy with the results...
Yes I did take it apart to make sure the XLR connectors were indeed connected and yes they are, lol

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Barcode please - I'll follow up at work tomorrow and see what the go is!

B_P_J

Full time elf
djgra79 said:
Barcode please - I'll follow up at work tomorrow and see what the go is!

Will find it tomorrow for you, it will be in the recycling bin, sorry wife is asleep and dare not wake her... (she doesn't sleep much so when she does.... better not make a noise)