SMS Messaging Application - Send SMS's to your Display

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Geoff, brought my sign home from the office today and strung it up on the side of the house, as its a bit late, I dont think I will get any customers tonight :)

one question can you use the scheduler in vixen to turn the messaging app on and off, I have my light show running on the "other" software and running your app with a separate computer, so my main show turns off at Midnight and wanted to know if this is possible with you app?

regards Richard

You sure can, just create two sequences each with a launcher effect, one to turn on my app and then another to turn off my app. Each sequence only needs to be a few seconds long. Add the effect to a launcher element (In Display setup add a launcher controller and patch to a single element).
There should be a video on how to do this in my first post.

Remember to select "Enable Vixen 3 control" checkbox in my app.

It may sound hard but its very easy.

That way you add the On Sequence to the schedule for when you want it to turn on, then another to turn off at the end of the night.

Hope it makes sense. If not I can do up another video for your use case, but give it a go.

Richie4540

Full time elf
Geoff, I think I worked out one way of doing it, I made two different sequences each of which launched a device action to start or stop the sms app, and then ran a schedule to run the start sequence at the start of the night and the stop seq at the end of the night, so later tonight I will see if it stops.

I couldnt work out how to straight out just do a launch action directly in the scheduler as it seems to only allow me to schedule a sequence.

richie

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Nice, glad you worked it out.

So are you guys also using some sequences for the message board so its displaying something when no text is coming in.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
I'm in the same Boat here. I've had my lights running this week for judging and have forgot to stop the MSG app a couple of nights. I did install a couple of scripts onto the BBB to Schedule it to go into standalone mode after the show then back into Bridge mode before Showtime starts. That is working, but some kind of scheduler in the app would be awesome.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
I'm in the same Boat here. I've had my lights running this week for judging and have forgot to stop the MSG app a couple of nights. I did install a couple of scripts onto the BBB to Schedule it to go into standalone mode after the show then back into Bridge mode before Showtime starts. That is working, but some kind of scheduler in the app would be awesome.

I can build it directly into the app for next year.

Richie4540

Full time elf
Geoff, my office computer had a simple looping sequence to fill in the blanks and I might do it, but looking at the matrix running next to my mega tree it's makes it very readable just having the messages.
Richie

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Oh Wow, must not have watched all the videos when I installed it. Start and Stop from a sequence is perfect way to do it

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Oh Wow, must not have watched all the videos when I installed it. Start and Stop from a sequence is perfect way to do it

I did that so you could use the matrix for your normal sequencing and then just add a command to turn on my app during a sequence when then matrix is not being used and then turn off again when you need the matrix for you normal sequence.

Always pays to what the videos Steve :)

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
For those that are using the latest version 3.4 of my software I have updated it to include it's own basic scheduler, when enabled on the main page it will turn the messaging app On and Off based off the scheduler. Go to Settings Scheduler and change the times for each day of the week.

To save you uninstalling and installing the app, just copy the two files linked below and over write them in your Program Files/Vixen Messaging folder on C drive. Just make a back up of the original files first, just in case. Once you copy these two files, run the app and you will see the scheduler enabled on the main page and scheduler in settings.

Also the app will create another log file message.log now contains just the audiences mobile number, message received and date/time of message.

Vixen_Messaging.exe
Resources.dll

Richie4540

Full time elf
Fu.. I hate permissions, tried a couple of times to copy and while it seemed to change the program it kept coming up with an unhandled exception each time it check twilio, so that's no good, so back to what works for now and I will play with it in the new year when I have time.

Richie

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Fu.. I hate permissions, tried a couple of times to copy and while it seemed to change the program it kept coming up with an unhandled exception each time it check twilio, so that's no good, so back to what works for now and I will play with it in the new year when I have time.

Richie

Interesting. I tried it on two computers here and Steve said it works so maybe a local issue to you. If you get time could you copy the info and send it to me.

Also did it come up with a continue button and did you select that. If not then try and select continue and see if it still does it.

Did it create a displaymessage log in the folder.

Oh and I also had to add the folders to my virus software exception list. Main program folder and appear roaming Vixen Messaging folder.

Cheers

Last edited: