Tombstone video projection

OzAz

Senior elf
Generous elf
The other Halloween project this weekend, a tombstone for projecting video onto.
My distressing/ageing didn't work out very well and for some reason the grey paint has "eaten" a small section :(
Not too worried though, as long as the video projects onto it OK.
Looking at using the new video from Hi-Rez Designs or similar and using the small 'Bunnings' projector I stupidly bought.

As last year the ToTs had left before it got dark, I may put this out each night for a week or so before Halloween as a 'teaser'.

tombstone.jpg

David_AVD

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Community project designer
Generous elf
Does that foam cut neater than plain old white polystyrene ?

I put a sign up 2 weeks beforehand to specify a 6pm start.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
The other Halloween project this weekend, a tombstone for projecting video onto.
My distressing/ageing didn't work out very well and for some reason the grey paint has "eaten" a small section :(
Not too worried though, as long as the video projects onto it OK.
Looking at using the new video from Hi-Rez Designs or similar and using the small 'Bunnings' projector I stupidly bought.

As last year the ToTs had left before it got dark, I may put this out each night for a week or so before Halloween as a 'teaser'.

View attachment 12745
Great idea. Might be something I could use my crappy LED projector for.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Does that foam cut neater than plain old white polystyrene ?

I put a sign up 2 weeks beforehand to specify a 6pm start.
Yes this stuff cuts really cleanly, Using a stanley knife to score about a quarter of the way through and then you can just snap it and it breaks cleanly. Or use a a hot wire cutter to cut into shapes and make the cracks etc (or use a soldering iron).
I used the stuff for my tombstone ice fogger.

Attachments

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Generous elf
What type of paint did you use @OzAz ? Spray paint eats away at that stuff but sometimes that might be the effect you're after!
My main cuts I used a jigsaw but otherwise a stanley knife. I then used a single blade of a pair of scissors and wiggle it down to make it look like a crack. Hit it with a heat gun very lightly to seal the crack and make it hard for the paint to stay on. You could also use a file or rasp to chew off chunks against the grain around the edges if you want a more aged, crumbly look to the stones. Again, hit with a heat gun to stop little bits falling off post painting.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
After seeing OzAz’s post, my younger boy and I decided to try the projection from
Hi-Rez designs. We’ve been making tombstones. The projector is a very cheap crappy LED one but should be good enough. The names stay up longer on the tombstone - I just cut down the video to get through a few quicker.
View: https://youtu.be/thHtSr-0rQY

Attachments