Will doubling my wires make the gauge bigger?

jimcllc

Apprentice elf
If I take 2 sections of 16ga wire, Lay them side by side(not end to end) and wire the ends together will I then be making a gauge thicker to minimize voltage drop for power injection?

i13

Dedicated elf
Yes but don't do it for any data wires. Doubling the wires will halve the voltage drop.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Yes it definitely will. You need to make sure you are supplying both 0V and 5V (or 12V) power injection and not just the "power" wire. I added a bit of info to the latest ACL 101 on selecting cable sizes and calculating what sizes and voltage drops etc.

multicast

Senior elf
Yes, but it will also potentially create other issues, you might get a lot of Common Mode noise. Your milage will vary, if you have to use two bits of wire, side by side.. Join them in several places along the line. not just at the ends.

jimcllc

Apprentice elf
I'm thinking of doing this from the P12S to my pixel strand of 25 5v Ws2811 mini tree to mini tree to mini tree for a total of 6 trees 150 pixels. I'll inject power after 50, 100, and at the end.
Not exactly sure of distance yet but am guessing 10-15 feet but thinking doubling the wire might help boost the power. I'll be using orange outdoor extension cords. They are all as you buy them, will that help shield the noise and other problems?

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
I've done this heaps throughout my display as I got a big roll of multicore cable cheap. Also allows reconfiguration back to separate cores down the track if required.

No problems so far!

mararunr

Here to learn! (and share)
3505 NW Edgewood Ave, Bentonville Arkansas, USA
So the joining at multiple points is what I must have been missing in my display this year. I just ran the whole length and only joined at each end. Did get some unexpected results. What would be the longest you would recommend going before joining together and then moving on?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
mararunr said:
So the joining at multiple points is what I must have been missing in my display this year. I just ran the whole length and only joined at each end. Did get some unexpected results. What would be the longest you would recommend going before joining together and then moving on?

This depends on a few factors including the length of the cable and the guage of the cable, but a general rule is
50 lights with 5 volts strings
120 lights with 12v strings
Inject between each strip using 5v
Inject at the beginning of the 3rd strip but back inject into the second strip when using 12v

firebug

Senior elf
Fasteddy said:
mararunr said:

This depends on a few factors including the length of the cable and the guage of the cable, but a general rule is
Inject at the beginning of the 3rd strip but back inject into the second strip when using 12v

I think what mararunr is asking is involving the actual injection cables and not the strip. I too ran 6 core cable for the injection (using 3 and 3 twisted together), one of them being 14m long. Should I/we twist the wires together again at certain intervals along the wire or will each end be enough? I realise gauge and length are contributing factors but maybe just as a general rule? Or doesn't it make any difference??

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
firebug said:
Fasteddy said:
mararunr said:

I think what mararunr is asking is involving the actual injection cables and not the strip. I too ran 6 core cable for the injection (using 3 and 3 twisted together), one of them being 14m long. Should I/we twist the wires together again at certain intervals along the wire or will each end be enough? I realise gauge and length are contributing factors but maybe just as a general rule? Or doesn't it make any difference??

It makes absolutly no difference because its the guage of the cable that is important, by adding additional cores you are then reducing the resistance of the overall length and increasing the current capacity of the cable run, so twisting the cores together at intervals will have no effect

Ohms law is very important in this hobby, so we can see how the guage and length of a cable (resistance) and the current (amps) flowing down that cable play a critical role in determining voltage drop

Volts = current x resistance

So as you can see this is very important and Ohms law is the general rule because everyone will have different currents and different guages and lengths of cables.

The less current and less reistance will equal less voltage drop

mararunr

Here to learn! (and share)
3505 NW Edgewood Ave, Bentonville Arkansas, USA
Qiang Fu Kiwi said:
Yes, but it will also potentially create other issues, you might get a lot of Common Mode noise. Your milage will vary, if you have to use two bits of wire, side by side.. Join them in several places along the line. not just at the ends.

So joining them in several places along the line has no effect? Sorry for dragging this on, just trying to learn.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
mararunr said:
Qiang Fu Kiwi said:

So joining them in several places along the line has no effect? Sorry for dragging this on, just trying to learn.
Just dont join multiple wires for the data this will cause issues

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
mararunr said:
Qiang Fu Kiwi said:

Hi,

I can't see any benefit to joining them in several places, other than to create work. ;) It may be worth considering moving your power supplies closer and reducing the length of the DC run, and perhaps using multiple power supplies. But i digress, in answer to your original question, yes doubling the wires will double the current carrying capacity. Make sure you double both the +ve and -ve wires.

Cheers
Fing

multicast

Senior elf
Fing said:
mararunr said:
Qiang Fu Kiwi said:

Hi,

I can't see any benefit to joining them in several places, other than to create work. ;) It may be worth considering moving your power supplies closer and reducing the length of the DC run, and perhaps using multiple power supplies. But i digress, in answer to your original question, yes doubling the wires will double the current carrying capacity. Make sure you double both the +ve and -ve wires.

Cheers
Fing

Noise sir. Noise. You may be fortunate that is not an issue. But you may not be so lucky either. Noise can be induced onto cables, When their are differing signal paths for the current ( different wires ) you will increase the noise that ends up on the cable. As i say in many cases, its not going to be a problem. Until one day it is.