Here lies the details for the 2014 Australian Melbourne Mini.
Mini Christmas Expos 2014
- May 17-18, 2014
- May 31-June 1, 2014
- June 14-15, 2014
- May 24-25, 2014
- Perth Mini 2014
- No plans for a mini...yet
- Canberra Mini 2014
- No plans for a mini...yet
- New Zealand Mini 2014
- No plans for a mini...yet
When: Sat 17 and Sun 18 May 2014
Costs: To be determined
Where: CNC Design, 1K Marine Parade, Abbotsford, 3167
Forum discussion: https://auschristmaslighting.com/threads/2014-melbourne-mini-17th-to-18th-of-may.5327/
Streaming: (tune in from around 9:30 am AEST)
- Day 1:
- Day 2:
This year we will have the mini again at CNC Design in Abbotsford. We want to cater for members of all ages and experiences so no matter if you are a newbie or a veteran please come along and enjoy two days of information and discussion sessions on what is new in Christmas Lighting. More importantly get to know other ACL members a passion for this hobby.
We will have this in May so you have lots of time think about and organise new lighting goodies for this Christmas. The Melbourne Mini is one of the feature events for the ACL year.
PRIZES WILL INCLUDE GOODIES FROM STELLASCAPES AND OTHERS YET TO BE CONFIRMED!
NOTE Door prize will include:
Other prizes will be added as they come to hand.
- A Shiny new Stellascapes TS-16, complete with 16 sets of 85 node strings. ( these are the 16 bit ones! ), and a set of splitter cables to go. ( Value $AUD2995) OR a set of 4 Stellacapes Sun-12 high power RGBW Light fixtures, with a E1.31 controller / power supply. ( value $1995 ) - To be decided.
- An Advatek Pixlite pixel controller.
- A Hanson Electronics DC controller (TBA when available)
- Goodies and/or a special offer from Minleon LSP
- Lights from Paul Zang ( http://www.aliexpress.com/store/221277 )
Facilities include - Meeting room for 35 people with Projector and Internet access, Warehouse area to set up displays, Electrical assembly area for making displays and plenty of car parking. All just 3km from the Melbourne CBD.
How to get there - Car, Train (Closest station is Collingwood which is 5 min walk) or tram to Victoria Street Richmond (also 5 min walk)
If you plan to come, please add you name to this list or make a comment on the forum link above.
- Qiang Fu Kiwi
Others - Please let me know if you think you will come as we have to arrange the catering.
To be determined but possibly as follows.
- Explore a show (or two). breakdown of lights/boards required for results
- Planning a show - starting from nothing/converting from static to pc controlled
- Introduction to electronics and how it applies to lights. Watts, volts, current and heat
- Comparison/explanation of the different networks used for controlling lights. E1.31, dmx, pixel, lor
- Hooking things up - a sample of boards and where they fit in the grand scheme of Christmas lights
- Introduction to DMX - start address, wiring
- Introduction to E1.31, Pixels and E1.31 to pixel boards
- Sequencing: LOR
- Sequencing: LSP (with nutcracker)
- Sequencing: Vixen 3
- Hands on sequencing of lsp, lor, vixen. Also P2, P12, DR4 etc setup
- Display marketing - how do you draw in more visitors? (general discussion). maybe including signage, radio tx and licence
- Discussion about Chinese suppliers/ebay suppliers/big W etc. Covering what to specify for custom orders
- Using a Pi for running your show using the FPP
- Basic and in depth discussions on using E1.31 and E1.31 with multicast for your show
--- Qiang Fu Kiwi
- Possible session showing off new boards etc from the vendors Stellascapes, Advatek and Hanson Electronics. These may include pixels, pixel controllers and dmx dimmer boards.
If there is something you specifically want covered, or want to present on, please discus in the thread.
If you have a laptop and want to flash some lights while you're there then bring it along.
What's happening - Saturday
The schedule will be updated or revised close to the event once confirmed numbers are calculated, however, here it is as it stands currently
Presenter Time Activity SATURDAY - 22nd June 0830 Doors Open / Breakfast Time for setup or grab a coffee All 0900 Meet & Greet Welcome and Intro's, meet everyone. AAH 0930 Network and light types Discussion on dumb and smart lights, LOR, dmx and E1.31 networks All 1000 Morning tea Tea/coffee/Coke Zero etc Ruprect 1015 Electronics 101 AAH 1100 Types of Lights - LED Strings, RGB strings and strips, Modules, Pixels 1200 LUNCH L_Tay 1300 Setting up and sequencing with LOR Beacy 1330 Setting up and sequencing with LSP Battle79 1400 Setting up and sequencing with Vixen 3 1500 Afternoon Tea AAH 1530 Installation & Hooking Things Up - Power & fusing, cable sizes, etc Including a quick demo of testing with da_dmx and da_e131 All 1600 Connect up and play Just a short session for anyone to connect up lights and turn them on All 1630 - 1700 Wrap up
What's happening - Sunday
Presenter Time Activity SUNDAY 0900 Doors Open Grab a tea/coffee/coke zero Sean Meighan (USA - via teamviewer) 0930 xlights/nutcracker and raspberry pi All 1000 Morning tea 1015 Buying Lights , controllers and interfaces- Suppliers and specification Beacy 1130 Managing all that Data- Tips for large shows 1200 LUNCH Andrew Fraser 1300 E1.31 including multicast on a DIY network AAH, Andrew Fraser, L_Tay, Devo 1330 Discussion of Different Controllers 1400 Discussion Group based discussion. Got a question about anything at all Xmas light related then ask away. 1500 Afternoon tea All 1515-End of play Connect up and play with controllers pixels and sequencers