Jaali Jaali 1
abundy abundy 1
Skymaster Skymaster 1
AAH AAH 1 Spoiler content hidden.
Katekate Katekate 1
Snicko Snicko 1
N nagyOUT 1 Spoiler content hidden.
Jase Jase 2
Pyropeter Pyropeter 2 Spoiler content hidden.
burnt burnt 1
M mccar 1
cdjazman cdjazman 1
E ewanh 1 Spoiler content hidden.
shanepeiris shanepeiris 1 Spoiler content hidden.
J Jasonhawkins 2 Spoiler content hidden.
R rustyboy 1 Spoiler content hidden.
Eizziljam Eizziljam 2 Spoiler content hidden.
andrewa andrewa 1
T Tammie Squires 2 Spoiler content hidden.
BluePat BluePat 1
darylc darylc 1
keithsw1111 keithsw1111 1
K Kent 1 Spoiler content hidden.
H hwick 2 Spoiler content hidden.
M muzzag50 1 Spoiler content hidden.
S Spud Fratantaro 2 Spoiler content hidden.
C christophe 1
chee5eburger chee5eburger 1
S ShaneM 1
S simony 2 Spoiler content hidden.
SarahD SarahD 1
S Soggy Sanga 1
E epasxm 2 Spoiler content hidden.
10maddy01 10maddy01 1 Spoiler content hidden.
T Tristan 1 Spoiler content hidden.

keithsw1111

Senior elf
Thankyou Melbourne for an amazing mini. Some of the best presentations. Great diversity. Good to see so many people new to the hobby and great to catch up with old friends.

if you asked me for something in xlights or falcon over the weekend please follow it up with an email to Keith @ pixelcontroller.com so I don’t forget it.

Snicko

Full time elf
What a great Mini!
Great to meet some new people, and reconnect with other like minded hobbyists.

Many thanks to the many sponsors that provided very generous donations for door prizes for everyone - And to Mark for coordinating this.

Thanks to Mikey for access to the venue, and his constant tech support and setup for the many presenters

Craig - the catering was on point, and the banter was not far from it also!

Graham, Rob - thanks for leading the charge with organisation

Keith great to meet you and thanks for your informative presentations, and contributions to our hobby!

Some great presentations were conducted by all, and I think everyone walked away knowing more!

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
As I said in the wrap up this afternoon, this was an amazing mini, I'm very glad I was able to make it down. Top notch with organisation, the presentations were varied and informative and I'm definitely walking away with more knowledge.
Fantastic also to finally catch up with many of the Melbourne folk who I have spoken to many times.
I'm definitely going to figure out how to convince the other half for next year.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Well I think its safe to say this year's Melb Mini was a huge success!!
I want to thank EVERYONE for attending and contributing, because these events really shine (lighting pun intended) when everyone contributes, no matter how big or small. From friendly chats with new members to help guide them on the start of their display journey, to our subject matter experts who share their extensive knowledge with all.
I do want to give a few special shout outs. @mikey for access to an awesome venue and your AV assistance. Thanks to the recent upgrades it made our breakouts and catering very comfortable to use. Speaking of food, thanks to master of the tongs @cdjazman for keeping ~40 people fed & hydrated both days. @Jaali for organising a huge amount of prizes from our vendors & sponsors (and thank you vendors & sponsors for your contributions!) @thewanderingpine for co-hosting with me, pulling together the schedule and many other behind the scenes tasks that needed ticking off. @Jasonhawkins & @mccar who picked up the bits and pieces we needed to organise behind the scenes and helping us over the 2 days.
Also shoutout to those who made the trip from out of town, be it from our regional areas such as Bendigo, Portland & Warrnambool, to our interstate visitors from SA & NSW, we really appreciate you coming to visit and hope we made it worth the trip.
Thanks also to anyone who presented a topic. Public speaking isn't everyone's cup of tea but I'm sure all would agree everyone did an amazing job, they were easy to follow and easy to interact with, well done.
We hope you all learned something new, grabbed a bargain or 2 (or a handy prize), made some new contacts or friends to lend a helping hand in the future, but most of all enjoyed your time at the event. I think we got the balance right of structure in a relaxed environment which is hard to guage when working with a group of mixed levels of experience. One of the main things I'll remember fondly is knowing that Mikey is a really nice guy (if you know you know ;) )
Here's looking to 2025, maybe it's not going to be so mini next year.... :)

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Another great mini. It had to be just about the biggest mini so far at a guess.
I learned a number of new things and heard the funniest Christmas song ever. It was very on point for the audience present.
I've already hit up https://suno.com/ to work on some new content for this year.
Thanks so much to all who were involved, the attendees, organisers, the catering officer (and helpers), the presenters, Sandringham College for allowing us the use of the venue and the sponsors/donors who donated about 100 individual door prizes.
I hate public speaking but got in there and did it as it's something I love (thanks Ewan for saying it's not public speaking if it's your best friends).
I'm also not a fan of selling my stuff in person. Nick, Jason and others did a great job of selling my stuff to many people. My stuff for sale there really was a DIY buying effort. People worked out what they wanted, added it up and paid for it and told me after the fact. Stuarts job for the next mini can be to repurpose his lolly dispenser to dispense distro boards etc.
thanks everyone.

cdjazman

Full time elf
Totally agree with the thankyou for all involved.

Was a great weekend with seeing friends again after time, meeting new people, bit of banter here and there. 😁😁😁😁

Big thank you to @keithsw1111 for showing off his egg skills...... 🥚🍳

And a massive thank you to @mccar for all his help over the weekend with catering side of things.

simony

New elf
Justin and I really enjoyed our time and walked away with brains hurting from new knowledge!
Yummy food, helpful advice and informative presentations. We were sad we couldn't make it on Sunday for more talks and the door prizes! haha

I've started tinkering in xlights on a few building pics just to see what's what.
I'm sure I'll be exploring these forums a bit more! But anyone got good post links on the following random topics?

- after drawing in xlights, are there quick ways to figure out how many lights I actually drew and the lengths required? Like is it to a scale? Or is it just me figuring out: distance/light spacing=total ?
- info/tips on community interaction and control (I had a good chat with (@mikex ?) on council battles)... stuff like that
- mounting solutions for concrete and colourbond (also had a few smaller chats on this but hoping for some posts)

Thanks all!

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
after drawing in xlights, are there quick ways to figure out how many lights I actually drew and the lengths required? Like is it to a scale? Or is it just me figuring out: distance/light spacing=total ?
In 3D mode, on the layout tab, go to the 3D objects section, and insert a ruler (under the Obj button). Drag it to a known distance on your model, and input the actual distance in real units (eg across a garage door might be 4 metres).
Then all your props will be properly scaled in the dimensions section of the model.

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
Generous elf
If you're talking about outlines and things like that -- it gets a bit trickier. Because that's really dependant on the spacing of the lights you choose. 5cm, 10cm, 2.5cm, etc - will all make a huge difference here.