Moving Head Spotlights

DJJAX99

New elf
Hi Guys,
I had a 5 moving lights in my display this year. I contacted a local plastics fabricator to get some domes made. I then made some waterproof enclosures for the lights using the domes.

Please be aware, the lights that are used in the star wars video which are ClayPaky Sharpies (or clones of them), are not necessarily legal to use in that fashion in Australia, due air space restrictions.
I contacted my CASSA and then Air Services Australia who put me in touch with POLAIR Queensland to make sure that my display wasn't going to cause any issues with flight paths.

One of the previous reply was correct, smoke/haze is not optional with these lights unless your using Sharpies. I used a commercial grade smoke machine as part of my display to allow the beams to be visible.
For the record my lights are the 7x12 watt RBGW style moving heads.

Also be aware that the lower cost lights are more likely to have issues with the stepper motors trying to move faster then they are able to and stalling, which mean you need to either power cycle the light or send a reset command from your show control software.

EDIT:
I also took the lights down each night after the show to prevent condensation from getting into them.

The exact lights he was using in that light show were Magicolour HG230B Beam's

the ones he is using in the star wars light show were brighter then the clay. paky because they are almost 2 times the price.

DJJAX99

New elf
The exact lights he was using in that light show were Magicolour HG230B Beam's

the ones he is using in the star wars light show were brighter then the clay. paky because they are almost 2 times the price.
Sorry I meant for Chinese knock off's for the price. A really sharpy from clay.pky is around $2000

Tuke

New elf
I live in Texas along the Gulf Coast so we don't get a lot of rain and our weather isn't too too bad during the holiday season.

I picked up a sheet of plexiglass, cut it with my dremel and made 2 clear boxes that sit over the lights. I drilled holes in one side of the box and added a small / ish battery operated fan for cooling. I think it should work well enough but I guess the real test will be in November/December.

The lights I picked up are nothing special. 750W rotating head and I got 2 of them from the Tom Tom app for 100.00 total. My display isn't overly large so I think these will fit the bill nicely.

Jarrad33

150k of Pixels for 2023
Hi All

I bought a few cheap Chinese versions and I was very disappointed.

Has anyone bought anything local that look the part ?

Junior

Full time elf
Daniel Zhang has 300 plus wattage outdoor ones. Seen a few test it too to great results. No where need that much wattage though. Like it's waterproofed already though

Derf

am now a 5v hypocrite
I've just done some write ups on the recent additions to my show

1200w spot: https://auschristmaslighting.com/threads/dts-xm-2500-spot-moving-head.13247/

This style is no longer sold and I grabbed it second hand. 1200w discharge bulb. The bulb is pretty $$$$ and you have to replace every 750 operating hours
e00d8042ee1630005a4a9296815fb975.jpg

b505ba74030a169fb1ce04d63a2df9b9.jpg

The other one I grabbed is LED based 100w fixture from DJ City: https://auschristmaslighting.com/th...100w-led-moving-head-first-impressions.13246/

Junior

Full time elf
I've just done some write ups on the recent additions to my show

1200w spot: https://auschristmaslighting.com/threads/dts-xm-2500-spot-moving-head.13247/

This style is no longer sold and I grabbed it second hand. 1200w discharge bulb. The bulb is pretty $$$$ and you have to replace every 750 operating hours
e00d8042ee1630005a4a9296815fb975.jpg

b505ba74030a169fb1ce04d63a2df9b9.jpg

The other one I grabbed is LED based 100w fixture from DJ City: https://auschristmaslighting.com/th...100w-led-moving-head-first-impressions.13246/
Worth getting for others is it? Didn't have enclosures for them?

Derf

am now a 5v hypocrite
As the one I use is a meter tall A standard dome would not work to great for it. I simply just put a tarp over mine each night.

However we did some testing on using some thin perspex to cover the light which worked fine with minimal like diffraction. The only thing to watch out is some moving heads especially of this power have a storage temperature limit. Also condensation was a big turn off for a giant perspex box.

bpratt

Senior elf
As the one I use is a meter tall A standard dome would not work to great for it. I simply just put a tarp over mine each night.

However we did some testing on using some thin perspex to cover the light which worked fine with minimal like diffraction. The only thing to watch out is some moving heads especially of this power have a storage temperature limit. Also condensation was a big turn off for a giant perspex box.

yeah, I figured you'd need a pretty tall one to allow it to point skywards. :)

You'd also need a pretty hefty blower and suction fan to move the air around it all too.

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
FYI
Anyone thinking of using moving heads in their display, this video has some clever ways to set them up in layout and to sequence them:
youtube.com/watch?v=9AkyT_O7zvw&ab_channel=SwyperOrozco

Long video in which he also talks about and shows his weatherproof 350W moving head lights, and issues to be aware of if purchasing.