newest code released for ECG-P2, ECG-PIXAD8, ECG-P12R - v2.6, v2.7

jeffrae

Apprentice elf
Here is a cheat sheet of how I upgraded my OLD PIXAD8 to the new bootloader and then installed the new app firmware

J1Sys has a video on the UBL23 pc app have a look at it before you start to instructions below
it will help you understand what is happening in the bootloader.
http://www.j1sys.com/legacy/UBL_Quick.swf

I have MPLAB IDE V8.76 allready loaded on my pc below is a link to version 8.76 if you need to download and install
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/MPLAB_IDE_8_76.zip

download New Bootloader file
http://www.joshua1systems.com/assets/UBL_1.2/UBL_ECG_M32MX_1.2a.hex
and the app Firmware file
http://www.joshua1systems.com/assets/APP_2.7/ECG_PIXAD8.X.v2.7.hex
And the new PC app Uploader file
http://www.joshua1systems.com/assets/PIC32UBL/PIC32UBL.zip

Open MPLAB
connect your PICKIT 3 to your PC
With power off on your PIXAD8 connect Pickit3 to ICSP connector on PIXAD8 Making sure that pin 1 (white Triangle) goes to pin 1 on board (White triangle with P1) You can also connect your Ethernet cable to the PIXAD8
Power up the PIXAD8
MPLAB Menu -> File -> Import ... Open the UBL_ECG_M32MX_1.2a.hex Previously downloaded
MPLAB Menu -> Configure -> Select Device...
Select PIC32MX795F512L from device drop-down

MPLAB Menu -> Programmer -> Select Programmer -> 6 PICkit3

You should get a message with
Target Detected
Device ID Revision = 04300053

You are now ready to erase your PIC32
MPLAB Menu -> Programmer -> Erase Flash Device

Erasing...
Erase device complete

MPLAB Menu -> Programmer -> Program

Programming...
Programming/Verify complete

you should see led2 flash slowly and led4 flashing fast

This is to show you that the bootloader is active on the PIXAD8
Connect your network cable if it is not already connected

Unzip the PIC32UBL.zip and open the PIC32UBL.exe

When it open you will see the window
Note YOUR ipAddress will have reset back to 10.10.10.10
Ensure that that you have Ethernet section Enabled
Click the "Connect" button if you have not removed the power from PIXAD8 it should respond immediately
You should get message sayimg that you are connected
You should now have an enabled "LOAD HEX File" Button Click this and load your ECG_PIXAD8.X.v2.7.hex file
You should see a message hex file loaded successful.
Click button "Erase-Program-Verify"
You should see a message
Flash Erased
Programming completed
Verification successful
Start: 9D009180 Len: 35D04 CRC: D8AA

Your PIXAD8 is fully programmed Turn off power PIXAD8
Remove PICkit3

Restart PIXAD8 and use your browser to configure

I found the following J1SYS video helpful here and it also explains some of the other features available in pc Application BootLoader
http://www.j1sys.com/legacy/UBL_Quick.swf This is the same video listed above.

I hope this is a help (sorry about the Length of instructions.

Regards Jeff Rae
Modified to fix formating

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
j1sys said:
there is new v2.7 code available on our site. see the link in the first post.

I have just updated my P2 with 200 2811 Pixels attached running with E1.31 - it seems to be working perfectly, no flicker, no other issues.

I upgraded over the network too (from 2.6) no issues :)

Well done Ed!

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Re: v2.6 code released for ECG-P2, ECG-PIXAD8, ECG-P12R

DougieB said:
[SIZE=small]Hi Ed[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]is there a release for the older non-UBL P12Rs. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]Yesterday I had the P2s running in test mode for over 6 hours with 2811 and have not seen any flicker. Great work[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]Doug[/SIZE]

Im thinking the same thing as i would love to update my P12R via a picit3. Ed is there a way you can instruct us on how to update the P12R via a picit3 so it can be UBL enabled.

thanks

danozfw

New elf
jeffrae said:
Here is a cheat sheet of how I upgraded my OLD PIXAD8 to the new bootloader and then installed the new app firmware

Awesome, I'll try it this evening when I get home from work.

Thanks for the quick response!!!

DougieB

Full time elf
Ed showed me how to update the P12 to UBL, use the ICSP cable provided with the DR4. It has 6 pin connector on one end and 1x2 and 1x3 on the other. Install 2.5 and ubl firmware, then go onto 2.7. Managed to carry this out on my P12, unfortunately it has a buggered oscillator chip and I am patiently waiting on a replacement P12
Not at home at the moment, but seem to recall the chip was a PIC32....(sorry can't remember the rest), needed a magnifying glass to read it
Edit: Now that I have read the rest of this thread, it is pretty much how Jeffrae has it above

Hope this helps
Doug

bdeditch

Full time elf
Do I have to update with 2.6 first, or can a person go straight to 2.7?

j1sys said:
FINALLY!!!!!

there is new v2.7 code available on our site. see the link in the first post.

v2.7 gives P2, PIXAD8, P12R all the newer WS2811 code updates that were added to the testing v2.6 for P12R

PLUS ...

more ethernet buffering, improved WS2811 support over even v2.6 P12R, improved interrupt drivers, prioritized round robin on the PIXAD8/P12R to update universes in the order received. and many more updates.

please test, test, test and see if we haven't finally reached the production level you will need.

-Ed

p.s. sorry for being off the loop for a while. getting the P12R to REALLY do 12 universe of WS2811 took a lot of reworking and bogged me way down. any other improvements should come quickly now. For ECG-D2/D4 users i'm working on the keep-alive problems right now and expect to release this weekend.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
DougieB said:
Ed showed me how to update the P12 to UBL, use the ICSP cable provided with the DR4. It has 6 pin connector on one end and 1x2 and 1x3 on the other. Install 2.5 and ubl firmware, then go onto 2.7. Managed to carry this out on my P12, unfortunately it has a buggered oscillator chip and I am patiently waiting on a replacement P12
Not at home at the moment, but seem to recall the chip was a PIC32....(sorry can't remember the rest), needed a magnifying glass to read it
Edit: Now that I have read the rest of this thread, it is pretty much how Jeffrae has it above

Hope this helps
Doug

Great news Doug, I thought that would be the case as I have a split cable that I also got from Ed with my DR4 and picit3.

What i want to confirm is what plug goes on which pins, I know about the arrow being pin 1 but which header row do i connect each plug as I dont want to mix these around.

jeffrae

Apprentice elf
Once you have the UBL on your device you use the PC app to load the ECG firmware and yes you can install 2.7 with out loading all the previous revisions

Just remember to download the files for the ECG-P12 from the J1SYS site.

Regards Jeff

mick8248

Full time elf
Doug where did you find the information on how to connect the ICSP cable from the DR4 to your P12R, is it on the J1SYS site?

Wolfieee

New elf
For anyone interested on how to update you P12R via Pickit 3. just connect it like so and then follow jeffrae instructions. Oh remember to download the P12R firmware and UBL too or it will not work.

Attachments

• 102_0001.JPG
    102_0001.JPG
    231.2 KB · Views: 1,194

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Wolfieee said:
For anyone interested on how to update you P12R via Pickit 3. just connect it like so and then follow jeffrae instructions. Oh remember to download the P12R firmware and UBL too or it will not work.

Thanks heaps for the photo, that exactly what i wanted to know.