Sydney/NSW Sydney Mini Expo 2013/Vivid festival - 1st/2nd June - Confirm your Interest

Benslights

Dedicated elf
Re: Sydney Mini Expo 2013/Vivid festival - 1st/2nd June - initial interest thread

Hi Guys i was talking to Shire today and he has booked the same location as last year.
so i guess we can now start working on what we want to see at the mini. i will leave that up to the organisers but am happy to help in any way i can.

sorry shire i could not wait i had to say something i was so excited

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Re: Sydney Mini Expo 2013/Vivid festival - 1st/2nd June - initial interest thread

Andy_Harrison said:
I wanna come home! Please take me to Australia.............

Australia Travel Video

"To the best place in the world I'll never see."

What a great ad,I haven't seen half of that Country

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Excellent news.

Now that the venue is confirmed I would like to start getting a list of attendees that plan on coming for the mini on the Sunday and who would like to meet up on the saturday night for dinner and a night looking at the vivid festival.
I would also like people to plan to bring something for show and tell because i think after doing this for a few years that the best approach is to only spend the morning doing any presentations and then spend the rest of the afternoon just mingling and helping eachother out as ive found thats where most get the biggest benifit, hands on discussion and questions.
So im asking what people want to discuss in the morning session and what people want to see in the afternoon session.

Last year we had an awsome fresh seafood lunch (what better place then at the fish markets :p ) and this will be the plan again, the cost should be between $15 to $20 per person for the day including this fabulous lunch.

Im asking for people to help organise this with me as i have a busy schedule this year, but if the last few years are anything to go off then this should be a great day for everyone to just catch up or to learn from those that have already done it. Either way everyone walks out learning something new.

So to confirm your interest please answer the below questions so we can plan the best approach so we can make this the most succesful Sydney mini to date.

1: Coming to the Sunday mini (Kids may be accomodated please ask if needed)
2: Having the Sunday mini fresh seafood Lunch (kids welcome) *** Note non seafood eaters will be catered for so please tell us if you dont eat seafood
3: Coming to the Vivid dinner on Saturday night (kids welcome)
4: Just coming to Vivid on Saturday Night, no dinner (kids welcome)
5: Would like to help to Organise
6: What would you like to see discussed/or shown at the mini?

Please check that you are in the list that is in the first post of this thread

We hope to see as many of you there :D

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator

1: Coming to the Sunday mini YES
2: Having the Sunday mini fresh seafood Lunch YES (DON'T EAT SEAFOOD)
3: Coming to the Vivid dinner on Saturday night YES 1
4: Just coming to Vivid on Saturday Night, no dinner
MAY BRING SOME THING ALONG
6: What would you like to see discussed/or shown at the mini?
SEQUENCING DEMOS

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
1: Coming to the Sunday mini Yes
2: Having the Sunday mini fresh seafood Lunch Yes (2A, Kids unsure as yet)
3: Coming to the Vivid dinner on Saturday night Yes 2A Kids unsure as yet
5: Would like to help to Organise Yeah maybe
6: What would you like to see discussed/or shown at the mini? More than just 1 presenter. 10-15 min topics with some Q&A during and after. If people want to learn about programs, they can download them and try, but maybe 30 mins MAX for help, or do it 1 on 1 later (Preferred). Bring controllers, items, ideas, lots of show & tell and help & ideas for new (and old) comers.

Christmas in the Shire

Apprentice elf
Thanks Yagoona, Steel my good news! The kids were asking yesterday evening and I had an early start and didn't have time to make an announcement.

I can also remind the event organisers that we have 2 rooms available! Both with house sound and LED projectors....and we inhabited the larger of the two rooms last year. We could run simultaneous presentations. We could run a 101 class in one room and a more advanced version in another room. Develop a conference program to provide the possibilities to choose your own adventure on the day! Obviously come together for morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea or show and tell. Endless possibilities!

At this point in time I would like to shout out to anyone who thinks their wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, mother, father, child or slave that would like to come along on the day to assist me with running the catering and coordination of resources throughout the day. Last year I was run off my feet and really had very few opportunities to relax, chat and be involved in the mini as a novice. Anyone that can come along and help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you know someone that is willing to assist.

Should be able to cater for morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, and tea/coffee/soft drink/ water all day for $15 a head. I'll start putting a plan together when we get closer to the time and confirm costs once we get a better idea of numbers.

Cheers Shire

Christmas in the Shire

Apprentice elf
Coming to the Sunday mini Yes
2: Having the Sunday mini fresh seafood Lunch Yes just me
3: Coming to the Vivid dinner on Saturday night unsure as yet - would love to bring the kids
5: Would like to help to Organise Yes - Catering, room resources, parking vouchers.......
6: What would you like to see discussed/or shown at the mini? Lost of how to's. Like finished examples of how to terminate RGB strip, or inject power. A few "how my display is put together" talks. "How I made this...." presentations, such as pixicles/matrix/RGB mega trees..... "How I sequence....." timing tips, ideas for choreographing movement within the display. Limit the software 101 chats or run them in the other room for those who would like a more one on one session. Maybe we can set up a few computers or people could bring their laptops to practice on... any software chats should be of an intermediate level and focus on the main programs such as LOR, LSP or HLS. All presentations to be no more than 30 minutes. keep the presenters turning over. We could have an international guest present over the net? Too many idea's for one mini!
Cheers Shire

grahami2006

Full time elf
Coming to the Sunday Mini yes
Fresh Seafood Lunch yes
Vivid Dinner Not sure
Help Organise. Not sure that I would be much help.
Discussions/Shown More help with LSP

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
grahami2006 said:
Discussions/Shown More help with LSP

Knowing that we will have 2 rooms for use then ill be definetly running an LSP tutorial for those that want it, Im sure ill be able to teach some tricks and the people who dont want to attend can use the other room for free time or for something else. Lots of flexability this year to maximise what people want to learn.

So if people are interested in an LSP tutorial then please pass that on to me so i have a good idea on numbers.

Also does someone want to put their hand up for doing an LOR, vixen or HLS tutorail if there is any demand for those. So please tell us what you want to see so we can make the mini an experience that is a worthwhile one.

Guys we have started the planning process early this year to be able to give everyone the best experience, the more that attend the better. Its a great day and with Vivid it makes coming from interstate more worth while.

This will also be a great opportunity to see the elusive Minleon lighting and controllers for the first time in Australia which will offer a simple plug and play system for those that dont want to spend the hours and effort learning DIY. (more info to come on that as the date draws closer)

mborg10

Michael Borg
1: Coming to the Sunday mini Yes 2 adult
2: Having the Sunday mini fresh seafood Lunch Yes 2 adults (even though we don't eat seafood)
3: Coming to the Vivid dinner on Saturday night Yes 2 adults
5: Would like to help to Organise Maybe next year after you have taught me lots
6: What would you like to see discussed/or shown at the mini? Intelligent RGB programming & program options. Anything that would help setup RGB hardware (J1sys)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Damicka10 said:
2: Having the Sunday mini fresh seafood Lunch Yes 2 adults (even though we don't eat seafood)

Just to make it clear those not wanting seafood will still be catered for, there will be salads and other dishes as well on offer, as the date gets closer and numbers are firmed up then we can work out how many dont want sea food and cater appropriatly for them.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I think 2 topics that are a must is LSP tutorial and setting up and using E1.31 controllers like J1SYS, if there is any interest in the sandevices controller setup then that can be discussed as well.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
1: Coming to the Sunday mini? Yes
2: Having the Sunday mini fresh seafood Lunch Yes
3: Coming to the Vivid dinner on Saturday night Yes
4: Just coming to Vivid on Saturday Night, no dinner
5: Would like to help to Organise yes if i can help in anyway
6: What would you like to see discussed/or shown at the mini? more on getting the most out of LSP. soldering tips and right tools for the job, more presenters and shorter time on each section like ll said. free time at end for people to bring issues up they have been having that people can help solve. show and tell.

bbayjohn

Senior elf
1: Coming to the Sunday mini Yes
2: Having the Sunday mini fresh seafood Lunch 1 for lunch, no seafood for me please
3: Coming to the Vivid dinner on Saturday night (kids welcome) What is dinner, where will it be
do we have a time and a venue? Could be 2 adults and a 14 year old, if we can make it in time.
4: Just coming to Vivid on Saturday Night, no dinner (kids welcome) Yes see above answer
5: Would like to help to Organise, I could help with LOR but im sure many others know a lot more than me. Being this is my second year. Would need help in setting up my computer. I could give a basic demonstration and answer a few questions.
6: What would you like to see discussed/or shown at the mini? Set up of an uGCG-P2 with dmx on lor to run pixels. May even be able to display a ECG-P12 with 12 strings. (If I can have it ready in time)