50mm 3m opaque tube - bulk buy

B_P_J

Full time elf
No we are talking, they are looking the goods, and $16 per 3m tube, that is unreal, let us know how the light dispersion is and how they bend? very excited now, I may just add a few more to the order, lol

mborg10

Michael Borg
Samples are on there way. Can't test light emittance as it is special order. Our order will let 85% of the light thru. The samples will be to test the bending.

Cost of the freight for 2 sample pieces air by DHL is about half of what 200 pieces by sea costs.

nutz4lights

Full time elf
Curiosity setting in from someone over in the U.S., but, isn't getting it to your port by sea only half the battle? There is a post on DIYC wherein they found a supplier of 50mm x 3mm wall thickness HDPE tubing. It looks amazing for arches and only costs $9 usd per 3m length. The other great part is that there's no special technique required to bend it... it comes in a circular hoop on the longer spool, so once you cut it to length you get an arch.

Problem is, shipping fedex or ups around the states limits you to 2.6m lengths or so... any longer requires freight and this material falls into a VERY expensive freight class due to low weight to volume ratio... so even though the material in only located a couple thousand kilometers, I can't get it shipped here for under $30 per 3m piece unless I go with 2.6m pieces which isn't interesting to me...

You mention that these are 3m, so I'm curious if freight is that much cheaper down under?

Louie

mborg10

Michael Borg
The freight will actually be by sea from China to Sydney to a freight forwarder where I can actually pick up the lengths. No the freight is expensive but because I am ordering the 200 3m lengths it only works out a couple of dollars per piece. Our Aussie dollar has also dropped below 0.80 USD so we have that as well.
I have tried about 40 suppliers and so far this is the best yet.
As far as bending once it's bent it will maintain its shape. I have done more research and apparently a hot air gun will bend it as well you just need something inside to stop it kinking.

nutz4lights

Full time elf
I wonder if there is a boat that comes to Florida, I live a few miles to the ocean! Would you be willing to provide me with the contact information so that I can see if I can make this happen state-side?

Louie

B_P_J

Full time elf
Now that is some great news... how do they look? Very keen on these..... let us know about bending when its done. Do they look like the light will get through ok? I am starting to think I may need a few moe of them. Maybe 7 or 8... cant hurt to have a spare or a few

mborg10

Michael Borg
bpj1980 said:
Now that is some great news... how do they look? Very keen on these..... let us know about bending when its done. Do they look like the light will get through ok? I am starting to think I may need a few moe of them. Maybe 7 or 8... cant hurt to have a spare or a few
I can't test the light on these unfortunately as light emittance is by special order. I will be ordering white opaque that lets 85% light thru. These samples are for bending purposes only. To make sure I can bend them and they don't kink or split.

B_P_J

Full time elf
sorry mate, i get what your saying, curious to know what colour the samples are and if this would affect any bending abilities, sometimes the different plastics used in the colour process have different feels, strengths, etc...
trying to think of examples..... but gone blank, when i was young i worked as a powderman in a Plastic Injection Factory, we used to make pots, buckets, clothes baskets, etc, damn if only i still did, make up a custom moulding, although would have struggled to make anything over a metre, our machines were huge but yeah not those capabilites, lol

mborg10

Michael Borg
bpj1980 said:
sorry mate, i get what your saying, curious to know what colour the samples are and if this would affect any bending abilities, sometimes the different plastics used in the colour process have different feels, strengths, etc...
trying to think of examples..... but gone blank, when i was young i worked as a powderman in a Plastic Injection Factory, we used to make pots, buckets, clothes baskets, etc, damn if only i still did, make up a custom moulding, although would have struggled to make anything over a metre, our machines were huge but yeah not those capabilites, lol
The samples are still white they just don't have the translucent, well I've been told. I'm going to test the samples to breaking point as I want them to far exceed what I want them to do. I'll have a look tonight.

mborg10

Michael Borg
Ok I have tested the light transparency of the tube. Even though they said it would not work I tested it anyway. I used Minleon strip and a wireless effects controller and well the results were spectacular. The light shining they was so cool. I only have a 25mm & 100mm samples but they both work great. The 50mm version should be perfect. Even my wife was impressed.. Next stop bending

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421907595.021908.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421907595.021908.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 40
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421907605.659315.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421907605.659315.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 37

B_P_J

Full time elf
Wow, being these arent the translucent ones i am even more excited. The colour looks great, legend for doing all this work, many people of ACL appreciate it, trust me the way they look now filling that order shouldnt be a problem, 50mm would be the perfect size, once again, thank you for your efforts.