Merlin

New elf
I am Thai of Melbourne.
Friend's xmas lights were impressive.
Resistance has been futile.
Zero experience.
No shed/garage.
Few hand tools.

Year 1 goal: 3m mega tree. Will retro post xmas 2021 and then go from there!

Secured a few pieces, including Ray Wu 12v regulated lights, 3x Meanwells, a @BooY mega tree topper.
Seeking controller, preferably the F16V3/4 and general advice.

Considered rPI-28D+ with Pi 3B+ for a temporary 2021 solution, but swaying towards HE123+ with BBB. Anyone with direct hands on experience with these?
(@AAH has been most helpful for general info about capability/functionality)

Will add that I'm into midi sequencing, and so am interested in light sequencing with music... eventually!

Last edited:

LawrenceDriveLights

Senior elf
They may be some Falcon controllers available from

you will have to email the address on the email for Aus sales

F16V4​

Australian customers please email david@pixelcontroller.com for an invoice. have a limited amount left in Australia.

what specs are you considering for your MegaTree ie how may strands, how many pixels per strand and if it’s a 180 or 270 or 360 degree tree

Troy at extreme lighting displays may also have control box kits set up for PSU and Falcon controllers if you don’t wish to make one yourself

They also have pixel mounting strip to push pixels into for your MegaTree strand

Also grab a couple of these for each end of your pixel strands

There is a couple of different ways to make your MegaTree
With lots of different designs shown here

Personally I like using a pipe (say 40NB available from your local steel supplier), a winch and pully so you can winch up the topper with the pixel strands attached, similar to as shown here

A trampoline base makes a good MegaTree base ring (just make sure it’s not to big tho).

A base for your megatree is also need, a socket in the ground or a portable hole works well (when used with the appropriate guy wires etc).

It all can seem a little daunting at first, but I am sure ACL members can offer you lots of advise from here, or in ACL chat or in the xLights zoom room

Last edited:

Merlin

New elf
Thanks @LawrenceDriveLights

I contacted David last week. He asked me to create an account so he could invoice an F16V4. Did just that and I haven't heard from him since - even after follow up. I suspect he's in the process of confirming that there is still stock, because 2021 being the year that it is with Covid! Their website is very low on stock too.

I've also been speaking to Troy over email and will be putting an order in soon for those megatree strands.
Currently thinking about 300°, 40 or so strands, 44 pixels per strand.

Also thank you for the tips re base and pole - am thinking it through for my requirements. Am exploring the possibility of making it safely freestanding, but not sure if that's viable or not without more expensive heavy duty hardware... will see!

Merlin

New elf
Intending to buy these, as they are much more economical:

Says 95x holes, 1" apart each; (2.4m per strand).
Reserve a couple of holes on each end for fastening... and that leaves about 46, no?

I prefer to work numbers that I can divide into four (I'm using 4 as scaffolding for sequencing and arrangement), but can be swayed to even numbers!

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
I can back the HE123 Mk2 controller, got one for this year and it's so far been easy to use. Might require a little more setting up than big name controllers but when it comes down to pixel count per $ paid, it's a bargain

Grozzy

Oh great, the idiot's back
Intending to buy these, as they are much more economical:

Says 95x holes, 1" apart each; (2.4m per strand).
Reserve a couple of holes on each end for fastening... and that leaves about 46, no?

I prefer to work numbers that I can divide into four (I'm using 4 as scaffolding for sequencing and arrangement), but can be swayed to even numbers!
You can zip tie them together and/or cut them make any length.
IMG_20211006_182628_edit_2582031926586741.jpg

Grozzy

Oh great, the idiot's back
I have a falcon f16v3 and two HE123
All great controllers and you can't go wrong with whatever you can get your hands on.

Whilst the single pole MegaTree is popular I have a physical tree where my 4m MegaTree goes so I have made a (whatever the name for a four legged tripod is) frame around it. However I wouldn't recommend this design for anything higher as it will be difficult to get the pixels strands up.

IMG_20210802_194354.jpg

Last edited:

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I have a falcon f16v3 and two HE123
All great controllers and you can't go wrong with whatever you can get your hands on.

I have a physical tree where my 4m MegaTree goes so I have made a (whatever the name for a four legged tripod is) frame around it.

View attachment 18347
I really like that tree.

Merlin

New elf
@Grozzy, that tree is amazing - looks like artwork!

Thank you for the tips to both you and @LawrenceDriveLights… I am changing design and will be doing 50 per strands using that cable tie trick, as the lights I bought have injection points every 100 pixels.

Appreciate the advice. I’ve put through an order for the HE123 mk2 and BBB, along with a few other bits and pieces from @AAH today. Am currently going through the different posts about mega trees on this forum now - alot of great content… I may have to document my own journey and share!