Event details

Event date
Saturday, Jun 4, 2022 Sunday, Jun 5, 2022
Registration deadline
Friday, May 27, 2022
Username Guest count Note
darylc darylc 1
keithsw1111 keithsw1111 1
Skymaster Skymaster 1 Spoiler content hidden.
thewanderingpine thewanderingpine 1
OzAz OzAz 1 Spoiler content hidden.
Max Kabilafkas Max Kabilafkas 1
Slam Slam 2
I i13 2
Daniel1973 Daniel1973 1
M Mike156 1
M midnight 1
Troy ELD Troy ELD 1
E Emma Jean 1
Johnno Johnno 1
John B John B 1
Pavle Pavle 1
kymm4 kymm4 2 Spoiler content hidden.
N Nericon 2
Crezzie Crezzie 1
Noel Richards Noel Richards 1 Spoiler content hidden.
Ben F Ben F 1
C charltonmick 1
M Mattslights 1
Mjredo Mjredo 1
Bernie_H Bernie_H 1
Trevor Wimmer Trevor Wimmer 1
BradsXmasLights BradsXmasLights 1
B billatqh 2
L Littledear 1 Spoiler content hidden.
matthew6 matthew6 2
Max Jago Max Jago 1
TRAVISTY TRAVISTY 1
B burto51 1
cscool36 cscool36 1 Spoiler content hidden.
S smurfy241 1 Spoiler content hidden.
Fing Fing 1 Spoiler content hidden.
RAMJET RAMJET 1 Spoiler content hidden.
K Kent 1 Spoiler content hidden.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
I thought I would start a thread for the Sydney Mini for 2022 which will be held on June 4/5 at Woolworths Head Office in Norwest Business Park.

After several awesome years that we likely won't top for some time Ben and Jack are taking a step back this year so we are going to need some others to step forward and help us organise the Sydney mini.

As I don't think we will have trouble getting numbers right now the biggest worry is who, if anyone is willing to put up their hand and offer some assistance.

Like anything in life many hands make light work so the more the merrier.

Just respond below and once we have enough to make a start we will organise a time to meet and start to work out how we divide up the organisation.

Some of the things we need to sort.

- Venue
- Catering
- Presentations
- Door Prizes
- Displays & Demos
- Evening events

We will likely go back to basics this year so less AV activity. Hopefully we can record some of the presentations where it makes sense but I don't think we will be streaming unless it is to stream someone in doing a remote presentation

unfortunately due to other commitments I won’t be able to attend but I would like to donate a door prize. If you would like one

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Agree with Daryl, the Rydges had quite a few issues last time we were there. They'd planned a massive renovation but put it on hold due to Covid.
Wonder if they've done the reno yet? If not I'd avoid it.

The Quest apartments are usually quite good, if you sign up (for free) you get 10% off, prices are similar to the Rydges.

We discussed last night on zoom about finishing earlier on the Sunday this time. So for the people who want to drive/fly/train home they wont miss anything.

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Also discussed about Vivid in Sydney, for those interested in seeing it Friday night might be best, and then we'll do the usual dinner on Saturday night.

Dinner Saturday 4th June

Not sure what @darylc remembered about the dinner venue last time, but its advantage is that it can accommodate a lot of people, and it's flexible with meals due to bistro style of ordering when you want.

Just checked Daryl's suggestion, it looks like we can book for a group of up to 40 people in the Bistro. Going by the small numbers signed up so far, this might be a valid option.

Seeing as a $200 deposit is required, we'd need to get a firm number of attendees as soon as possible. I'm OK with paying the deposit and everyone can pay me back on the night, or if possible it's incorporated into the Conference cost and the organisers can pay me back..

keithsw1111

Senior elf
After the discussion last night we have a list of topics and are now looking for those interested in presenting. Please don't let the presentation duties fall to just a couple of people ... if you have any experience take the risk and take on a presentation. It is a great way to learn more as you fill out your presentation and you can always reach out to others for help either in preparation or on the day to handle those questions outside your experience.

We have suggested a duration and style of each session but those volunteering can of course suggest a change in style.

Plenary - presentations in front of the whole conference ... typically either powerpoint of live on screen demos
Round Table - small group presentations ... often more hands on ... typically no powerpoint
Panel Discussion - either a facilitator session facilitating discussion with the whole room or a set of people answering questions from a facilitator. The latter works better if there are just 2-3 experienced people. The former works better where most in the room have experiences but potentially different.

Topic Style Duration
Door Prizes Plenary 1 Hour
xLights Basics/Q&A Plenary 1 Hour
XMAS Conferences Panel Discussion 1/2 Hour
Choosing a controller Round Table 1/2 Hour
Designing your lighting topology Plenary 1 Hour
Panels Round Table 1/2 Hour
My first year Plenary 1/2 Hour
Colour Correction of panels Round Table 1/2 hour
What I wish I knew when i started Panel Discussion 1/2 Hour
Moving from 2D to 3D Plenary 1 Hour
Mentoring other lighting enthusiasts Plenary 1/2 Hour
Installation tips Plenary 1/2 Hour
Being safe Plenary 1/2 Hour
Electrical fundamentals Round Table 1/2 hour
Smoke, bubble and DMX props Round Table 1/2 hour
Abusing props and electronics Plenary 1/2 Hour +
FPP Plenary 1 Hour
xSchedule Round Table 1/2 hour
Troubleshooting Plenary 1 Hour
Soldering Round Table 1/2 hour
WLED/ESPixelStick & using WiFi Round Table 1/2 hour
AutoLyrics Round Table 1/2 hour
Importing sequences Plenary 1/2 Hour
Interactivity Plenary 1 Hour
Sound and FM Plenary 1/2 Hour
Piskel Round Table 1/2 hour
Projection Mapping Round Table 1/2 hour
Vixen Round Table 1/2 hour
LOR Round Table 1/2 hour
Submodelling Plenary 1 Hour
State effects Plenary 1/2 Hour
What are reasonable vendor expectations Panel Discussion 1/2 Hour
Managing the impact on your community Panel Discussion 1/2 Hour
Making your display Australian Plenary 1/2 Hour
Automation of xLights Round Table 1/2 hour
10 features should probably be using in xLights Plenary 1 Hour
Hallowen decorating Plenary 1/2 Hour
Remote Falcon Round Table 1/2 hour
Filming your display Plenary 1/2 Hour
Tools of the trade Round Table 1/2 hour
Controller Box Builds Round Table 1/2 hour
3D Printing Round Table 1/2 hour
3D Modelling Round Table 1/2 hour

Emma Jean

New elf
Luke and I are keen to come down on the Saturday. What time does it start/end usually? Will also let you know about hanging around for dinner asap

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Luke and I are keen to come down on the Saturday. What time does it start/end usually? Will also let you know about hanging around for dinner asap
9 am till 5 pm Saturday
9 am till 1 pm Sunday - proposed times at the moment.
Discussion the other night suggested we finish earlier than we used to (4pm) on the Sunday, as lots of people left after lunch last time anyway.

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
@keithsw1111 are you going to put that list on google docs or similar to make it easier to add names? 😁

I've been thinking about the Projection Mapping topic. I'd be interested in doing a 1/2 hour Plenary style presentation, basically an overview of what's happening in the field at the moment and the options and resources available. Then I can also do a round table with some practical demo, and if there's other people who know something about projection mapping they can help with the round table.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
I'll swing by this week and have a look and report back.
Ok, so I haven't had a chance to look yet - however, I did post the question on a local dad's group I'm a member of, and the following suggestions for accomodation have been made. No one specifically got back to me in relation to the renovations. I can not vouch for anything said here, just passing on what was suggested to me (and adding the websites):

Troy ELD

Full time elf
Community project designer
Gday Everyone, Those attending and want to bring items in for showing or selling, We have a limited time on Friday evening to get everything in. If you wish to use this time, We need your names and numbers for security.

Also, For us to use the Woolworths Head office building, You'll need to be double vaxxed. Security will be asking for proof before entry. Proof of vaccination status can be found with your Medicare App. Woolworths have been fantastic allowing us to use the space and we just need to respect rules put in place.

We are still looking for presenters on topics. If anyone can help, Please reach out.

Max Jago

New elf
I'm staying at Quest Apartments.
Would you guys like me to bring up/ organise to ship up a flamer and possibly a spark machine for people to have a play with?

Last edited: